Team Avolition
cossacave

Evenprime! No! D:

cossacave    405

Source: http://forums.bukkit...-77#post-988485

My last two weeks started right now. Sometime in the middle of March I'll be practically leaving Minecraft and Bukkit and Plugin development forever. You'll only get answers to questions and small bugfixes on weekends (if at all)' date=' no more new features and as soon as I got the feeling that someone else is capable of providing similar service as NoCheat does, I'll retire completely (unless I feel like retiring earlier). NoCheat is Open Source and has a nice License that allows you to do pretty much everything with it, so if someone feels like making a clone - use a different name then to avoid confusion (!), go for it.

[b']This is no joke
[/b]
, although I initially planned on leaving on April 1st, effectively making an April fools joke that isn't one - therefore actually fooling people. (damn, so close).

I'm leaving for personal/private life reasons
. And because there will be someone that tries to use my leaving as an example of how "X" is destroying the community, here are some things that are
NOT
the reason for me to leave:

- Lack of donations: I'm not stupid, I never expected to make even remotely enough money from this in comparison to the time and effort that I'd have to put into it. And I was right. For those that are curious, I got ~200 $ in donations for over a year of work (at least 10 hours a week spent on "customer" support, information gathering, reading through source code and programming, that's 50 weeks * 10 hours = 500 hours for 200 $ - or less than 50c per hour).

- Lack of appreciation: I got nice comments from time to time about people liking the plugin, also I could clearly see that it gets used a lot by servers. I never felt like people didn't respect my work or were "ungrateful pricks". Also, the occassional "I like your plugin" or "Thank you" really did lighten up my mood and motivate me when I felt burned out a bit (HINT: "Thank you" is ridiculously cheap to say and really has a positive impact on developers, so be sure to use it from time to time).

- "Stupid" users: Minecraft is for many people the first time that they host a server or have such close contact to software, software developers and configuration files, therefore it is just to be expected that they ask "stupid" questions. And that they ask the same questions over and over and over again. I (at least hope that I) have never shot such people down and always tried to help them. And I liked helping them, 99% of the time. If I had a bad day, I tried to not answer at all than be insulting to someone who didn't really do anything wrong.

- "Bukkit": Bukkits limited API, the slow development process, new features that take ages to implement. All of these did never really bother me. And all of these things did vastly improve over the last few months, so there is really nothing I could complain about here. To the contrary, I really like where the project is heading now and wished I could participate longer in the ride into to future. I don't see Bukkit ending anytime soon.

- Curse, BukkitDev": I never had problems with these. Except for Curse destroying my "Evenprime" account (it's somewhere in Nirvana) which (I have to admit) was partly my fault. But hey, I simply used "Evenprime85" instead and all was well.

- "The Community": I didn't participate in the community here at the bukkit forums over the last few months, because I've used others that were a lot more fun to me, because more specialized in what I'm interested in. So I can't say "the community" did influence me at all, neither in a positive nor negative sense.

- "Spout": At first I was exited about Spout becoming its own Minecraft server project. But now that I've seen where they are planning to go I've to say I don't see them as a competition to Bukkit anymore. I'll get my glass sphere and predict the future for you: Spout will never be able to provide the "vanilla" gameplay feeling of the original Minecraft, because a lot of that gameplay comes from design flaws in Minecraft. Either Spout would have to implement them too (which they won't, that's the whole reason for writing a server from scratch) or somehow try to emulate them (which is almost impossible). Trust me, I've had to work around those flaws for a year, I know them very well. So I expect Spout to become a platform for total conversion "mods" of Minecraft, that don't even try to give you the vanilla gameplay feeling, while Bukkit stays the number 1 in providing the "original Minecraft multiplayer experience". Long story short, "Spout" had no influence on my decision.

- Threats, Bribes: Some may think by writing a plugin like NoCheat I'd get a lot of threats from people or people that try to bribe me into stopping developing it (or adding some kind of backdoor). And you are right. I did get threats, but none of them could be taken serious. If e.g. I regularly got random people threaten me to find out who I am and to release that info (to "dox" me), despite me clearly providing that info for free to everybody that's capable of reading. Open your "NoCheat.jar", then the "Readme.txt". Tada, you've successfully "dox'd" me. *snicker* Also I regularly got money offers for adding backdoors to NoCheat. Highest (real) offer was 50$ for somehow excluding a username from NoCheats checks. I also got the offer of 500 $ for retiring immediatly, but that was likely a joke. Rest assured that I never gave in to threats or accepted bribes like that.

Can't think of any other
NON
-reasons atm, although I'm sure people find something that they can link me to somehow anyway. :/

------------------------------------

Thanks for the nice time. I hope you liked what I did for Minecraft and Bukkit.

PS: I'll try to squeeze some small new features/stuff into those last two weeks, but don't expect too much.

Slyspy70    0

So...NoCheat is no longer being updated by the person that made it.

So what? It will just be updated by other people.

Exactly. Why all the drama?

LikeABoss    0

Hopefully Bukkit will stop being used, although I doubt it. Bukkit is horrible, but it is basically the only program of its kind for minecraft. Then someone could start from scratch and make a much better one.

• Upvote 1

Evenprime    34

So yes, I'm done. Was fun, got to reorder my priorities. NoCheat will likely work for a few months from now, even without maintainance. And someone will likely make a clone or something new based on it. I don't have a successor and don't want one. "NoCheat" is and will always be my plugin. People should use a different name if they want to pick up development of it.

@ghskilla epic video. That goes directly to my favorites.

Hopefully Bukkit will stop being used, although I doubt it. Bukkit is horrible, but it is basically the only program of its kind for minecraft. Then someone could start from scratch and make a much better one.

Bukkit has been bought by Mojang, all four Bukkit main developers got employed and will be working on an official Minecraft API (server and client) that should replace Bukkit eventually.

Hellparty    140

> nocheat stops being dev'd

> someone picks up dev

> people copy and create clones

> 9001 nocheat clones that may or may not work correctly

> opens the door for dumb kids with vcahax

> ???

> HORROR

> nocheat stops being dev'd

> someone picks up dev

> people copy and create clones

> 9001 nocheat clones that may or may not work correctly

> opens the door for dumb kids with skiddie clients

> ???

> HORROR

I second this

Wait, nocheat's not being updated anymore? How the hell is that bad?

For most griefers, it'll be the day they've been waiting to see for a really long time. However, someone else might create a clone under a different name. Evenprime's alright with that as long as it's a different name.

JB_42    161

Wow, I lament anyone who is seriously mad about this. He's got a life like you and me. I'd say for personal matters, I exceptionally agree that those must be the #1 priorities.

froznsun937    156

Well Evenprime, nocheat was a good plugin. Even though I being a griefer don't care for it, I still say you did some great work on it and I have a feeling if someone picks up where you left off it won't be as good. Nocheat won't be the same without you behind the wheel

Ketchuplord    224

Well the programming behind NoCheat was great, but now it's no longer being updated... *lifts the conch, summons all griefers.* :D

rakiru    2713

Everyone is acting as if NoCheat is now suddenly going to disappear over night. Evenprime has said that he will keep it update for the next version, and even then, the code is there for anyone to continue it (under a different name). Stop bitching/celebrating.

• Upvote 1

LikeABoss    0

Bukkit has been bought by Mojang, all four Bukkit main developers got employed and will be working on an official Minecraft API (server and client) that should replace Bukkit eventually.

Alright then. I'm sure that you guys worked really hard on it, and it was good at first, but somewhere down the line the whole thing got muddled up. Thanks for the hard work, although I didn't really like how Bukkit was operated/set up, it was the foundation of nearly every multiplayer minecraft server, so congrats for that. You guys have indeed been the backbone of the Multiplayer component of Minecraft, I just hope that this time it doesn't get muddled up.

D4rk_Leg3nd    59

The griefers will be happy but I'm devastated D:. I am a griefer but I also own my own server. This could end in catastrophy...

blind7125    1924

I am sad to see you go evenprime. I may be a griefer but you have challenged me to be a better programmer with everyone one of your updates. I wish you had gotten more donations because I did it wasn't much but I did. Saying farewell to you is like saying goodbye to a friend or teacher

Evenprime    34

Alright then. I'm sure that you guys worked really hard on it, and it was good at first, but somewhere down the line the whole thing got muddled up. Thanks for the hard work, although I didn't really like how Bukkit was operated/set up, it was the foundation of nearly every multiplayer minecraft server, so congrats for that. You guys have indeed been the backbone of the Multiplayer component of Minecraft, I just hope that this time it doesn't get muddled up.

I'm not sure to whom you refer with "you guys", as I was never part of Bukkit, just a normal plugin developer like everybody else.