Team Avolition
LikeABoss

How to bypass OpenDNS blocking system?

LikeABoss    0

Ok, my older brother apparently did something to make my parents install/add a parental blocker called "OpenDNS". I have no problem with my parents having a blocking system if it is only used to block things that are bad, however, they went overboard on it (or the blocker came preinstalled like this) and it seems to have blocked nearly every major website (Youtube, Facebook, ect.). I tried Google searching a way to bypass it, but no solutions (that work, that is) came up. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how exactly you can bypass it?

Skorchy    4

Open Network Connections, Open TCP/IP Properties, Select "Use the following DNS Server Addresses" and type in a different DNS server.

Edited by Skorchy

eonrulz    1930

How about... You explain to your parents why having some sites (e.g. Facebook,, Youtube) is ok? Maybe that way, if you open a dialogue, you'll be able to come to a compromise all parties are happy with. Else, you're just going to be sneaking around, lying about doing it, and the eventual backlash when - not if - they find out will be even more severe as a result.

At the very least, you might be able to understand why your parents think it necessary to block these sites from you.

LikeABoss    0

Open Network Connections, Open TCP/IP Properties, Select "Use the following DNS Server Addresses" and type in a different DNS server.

Right, about that. I don't know of any DNS Servers. The Google Public Servers don't work for me.

How about... You explain to your parents why having some sites (e.g. Facebook,, Youtube) is ok? Maybe that way, if you open a dialogue, you'll be able to come to a compromise all parties are happy with. Else, you're just going to be sneaking around, lying about doing it, and the eventual backlash when - not if - they find out will be even more severe as a result.

At the very least, you might be able to understand why your parents think it necessary to block these sites from you.

Sorry for the double post, but my parents are strange. They are very strict with some things, and then other things, not so much. They are strict with what websites we use, but they don't care much about lying. Sure, they will scold us about lying to them, but they will never ground us.

blind7125    1924

Ha my parents are divorced. My mom is the bible beater, and had the program called Spectre or Spector installed. It was worse than yours as I didn't even know it was there for a few months since it shows no sign in the tray or task manager. On the flip side my dad doesn't give a shit and he lets me stay up late, play whatever games, and do pretty much anything. I am 17 now and just learned to deal with it till I turn 18 and move out, and you should remember your parents are always right even if it seems arbitrary. You should try to talk to them, and then if they say no leave it at that.

OR: depending on your internet connection like ATT for instance in their routers they send you they have the ability to disable automatically finding a DNS, and they will give you a new one every time. Just be aware that it can possibly cause your internet to crash a lot, as mine would shut down a lot when I used something too intensive like games or streaming until I rechecked that option

LikeABoss    0

Try ultra surf.

Didn't work. The website is blocked.

"public DNS servers"

That didn't work either. I can't find any public DNS servers other than the Google ones, and they don't work for me for some reason.

LikeABoss    0

I honestly can't figure out anyway to bypass it. I'm kind of starting to get pissed now, especially since it seems to have blocked every anonymizer and anonymizer program (it even blocked TOR). Does anyone have any solutions? Any at all?

eonrulz    1930

I still think you should do this.

LikeABoss    0

I still think you should do this.

I actually tried that yesterday, and my father just shrugged his shoulders and basically told me that since him and my mom work alot they don't have time to monitor every site that I go on, and they also don't have time to create a website whitelist (that isn't true, they have time, they just won't) so everything is remaining blocked. I am somewhat suprised that these forums didn't get blocked, because 95% of the forums I used to go on are now blocked by the filter. It seems that they have set up a setting on the OpenDNS or something that doesn't allow me to change what DNS server I use, so that option is now out of the picture.

Puddleduck    867

I feel youI feel your pain... my parents have installed Norton family protect or whatever its called... but it is no way as strict as yours! My dad actually took the time to whitelist reasonable sites.

Right, about that. I don't know of any DNS Servers. The Google Public Servers don't work for me.

You sure you're not typing in something like dns.google.com for some reason? If you didn't (and you shouldn't), are you sure you tried both 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4? If you happen to have IPv6 support (this site will tell you if you do or not), then it's 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844.

LikeABoss    0

You sure you're not typing in something like dns.google.com for some reason? If you didn't (and you shouldn't), are you sure you tried both 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4? If you happen to have IPv6 support (this site will tell you if you do or not), then it's 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844.

Yes, I have indeed punched that in. Neither of them work. My parents found a way to block me from changing what DNS server I use.

I know an idea. Buy your own computer

If I buy my own computer I will still have to use my parents' internet. The blocker is installled into the internet modem, not the computer.

Yes, I have indeed punched that in. Neither of them work. My parents found a way to block me from changing what DNS server I use.

I know an idea. Buy your own computer

If I buy my own computer I will still have to use my parents' internet. The blocker is installled into the internet modem, not the computer.

If it's in the modem's firmware, you could attempt to flash the firmware or if possible (this one may vary from model to model), restore to factory settings. Google should help you out with this one. If it's passworded (which it might), then I'm out of ideas.

Gawd60    22
Posted · Hidden by Niiyu, March 8, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Niiyu, March 8, 2012 - No reason given

I hate that software :(. Good luck ;D

Stormgem    4
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Niiyu, April 26, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Niiyu, April 26, 2012 - No reason given

Oh my GOD!!¡ I am not the only one with opendns. I used to put in 6 hr gaming sessions and now, Boom! Opendns is blocking everything from Roblox to YouTube. I feel your pain. Although I had 1 idea that I never completed. Buy your own wifi hotspot, get an opendns account, and add the ip adress to your network list and ,BWAHAHA! Your parents can't do crap about it if you keep the wifi secret. ORRR... You can ask your dad for a free weekend on the web and then get ultrasurf or something. That's my new strategy. Lay low for a bit and get good grades and ask your dad for a small favor. He opens the web for a weekend and you get ultrasurf and boom, there you go. Or go like to your grandma's house (if you have a laptop) and use her wifi as a way to get ultrasurf. Your parents did it to you, so show them how smart you are and do that. Goodnight fellas.

Edited by Stormgem

ajvpot    204
Posted · Hidden by Niiyu, April 26, 2012 - No reason given

Change dns settings...

Stormgem    4

I don't know HOW to do that though. Would some computer geek explain how you change dns servers??¿

cossacave    405
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Niiyu, April 26, 2012 - No reason given

I don't know HOW to do that though. Would some computer geek explain how you change dns servers??¿

> Doesn't know how to change DNS settings; uses ALT code for "¿"

Edited by Mama_Tac0

Facebook    219

zee    641

Become an hero.