Team Avolition
monkjo

What would you do if you could not buy used games?

monkjo    0

Rumors are beginning to fly about the next generation of consoles, and if you read the news you’ve surely heard a few of them. And while many are expected features for future consoles, one seems to be causing a whirlwind within the community. Kotaku recently published an article stating that a trusted source has confirmed that Microsoft is working on a means to have the next Xbox incompatible with pre-owned games. This is just the most recent in a slew of actions that companies have been taking to combat the large chunk of profits they’re losing to used game sales, and certainly the most drastic. While missing out on content or having to purchase an online pass is inconvenient, this is essentially a deathblow to the used game market. But is this really such a bad thing?

http://lazyassgamer.com/a-world-without-pre-owned-games

Marf    0

watch as the 360's community dwindles

only microsoft could be this greedy

Dastete    37

What would you do if you could not buy used games?

I'd buy new games.

HappyLlama    131

I never buy used games! :D Anyways, used game sales leech off of the dev's and publishers, they're not need in the transaction, though buying new games costs more, its still very satisfying opening a brand new case and smelling the fresh smell of ink, its lovely, none can deny that. Yes, not allowing pre-owned games to work will upset the distributors like...Game, Game Station, GameStop and so forth, it will still be a good thing for the dev's and publishers, the people (the people who buy the games) will adjust and get used to it.

Also, i have read in places that Dev's could be going with digital distribution, because its less draining on their profits, publishers and pre-owned leeches, and it has a lot of other benefits you can think of :D

kalimasx    5

Well, there are two options on this one:

1.Buy new games

2.*cough*torrent*cough*

Not sure if the 2nd one is fitting for this post, but it was worth giving a shot.

Braddertt    29

Yeah this is happening because it HAD to happen. Brick and mortar stores have been raping the profits of developers to the point that they have to sell ridiculous amounts of copies in the first week to merit a green light for a sequel. Gamestop, EB Games, etc, have been raping the industry for too long. I'm sure all of you know this, but not a dime goes to developers when you buy a used game. And that really makes them struggle. What makes it worse, is that when you go up to buy a new game, Gamestop attempts to push a used version down your throat, because they make more money that way. This is why I always buy new. It's an extra $5 and I know that it's going to the developers, instead of just in the pocket of Gamestop. It breeds innovation, and not greed.

My bet is that Sony will get a lot more buyers if this happens.

But then they will probably do the same thing.

Yeah the thing about this is, Sony is already moving in that direction on the PS3. They recently implemented an "Online Pass" system, in which if you buy a used game, you have to pay $5-$10 to get online. This doesn't happen if you buy it new. Batman Arkham City removed the whole Catwoman segment if you bought used. It's not consoles that are pushing for this, per se. It's the developers themselves.

I say it's about damn time they made the move. Brick and mortar stores are losing their grasp on the market as digital distribution is becoming the prominent medium. It's about time we got ourselves out of the raping hands of Gamestop and move on to bigger and better things.

• Upvote 1

JB_42    161

I'd just go on game sites and chortle at the people who complain about the very subject.

pidgin    42

I'd whine and bitch about it extensively on the Internet.

What else do you expect me to do? Vote with my wallet? Fuck that noise.

jmlport98    196

Continue playing PC games and laughing at filthy console peasants.

Edited by jmlport98
  • Upvote 3

Braddertt    29

Ah. TotalBiscuit discussed the issue on his latest Mailbox. Pretty much my understanding of the subject, although I have to disagree that it's not going too far, too fast. It's a big step, but a necessary step for publishers and developers to push this onto the next 7 year console cycle.

LikeABoss    0

Quite frankly, this would ruin gaming as we know it. What happens if, in the future, a certain game goes out of print and people still want to buy it and play it? Well, you couldn't buy it used, so people would sell the game for a ridiculous price because they have no competition.