Team Avolition
Sirenfal

A Brief History of Programming

Left4Bread    1211

"A drunken Martin Odersky sees a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ad featuring somebody's peanut butter getting on somebody else's chocolate and has an idea. He creates Scala, a language that unifies constructs from both object oriented and functional languages. This pisses off both groups and each promptly declares jihad."

This is now my favorite article. Ever. Of all time.

cp133    341

1987 - Larry Wall falls asleep and hits Larry Wall's forehead on the keyboard. Upon waking Larry Wall decides that the string of characters on Larry Wall's monitor isn't random but an example program in a programming language that God wants His prophet, Larry Wall, to design. Perl is born.

HiddenCloud    2

Hmm... I heard about Pascal, my dad had learned it during his study. It was used to program Micro-Processors.

Thanks for sharing Siren, just learned something today ;).

eonrulz    1930

The Python one, and C#/Java ones, amused me. Thanks for sharing that little gem! :D

Jackrabid    7

"

1972 - Dennis Ritchie invents a powerful gun that shoots both forward and backward simultaneously. Not satisfied with the number of deaths and permanent maimings from that invention he invents C and Unix."

Genius. Seriously though this was a fun read, I thought it was basically going to be like Hackers (for those who haven't read it, it's not about black hats) gone Sparknotes, but I almost woke my roommate up with nerdy laughter

Edited by Jackrabid

Comkid    0

Simply my favourite part

1996 - James Gosling invents Java. Java is a relatively verbose, garbage collected, class based, statically typed, single dispatch, object oriented language with single implementation inheritance and multiple interface inheritance. Sun loudly heralds Java's novelty.

2001 - Anders Hejlsberg invents C#. C# is a relatively verbose, garbage collected, class based, statically typed, single dispatch, object oriented language with single implementation inheritance and multiple interface inheritance. Microsoft loudly heralds C#'s novelty.

Edited by Comkid