Has gaming Reached Its peak?

82 members have voted

1. 1. Is gaming done for?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'll wait and see

pidgin    42

Y'KNOW, YOU DON'T HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PROBLEMS

I MYSELF AM PERFECTLY FINE WITH A GAPING HOLE IN THIS BOAT, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN YOU SHOULD JUST GET THE NEXT LIFEBOAT AWAY FROM HERE

GUYS THE BOAT ISN'T SINKING, THE HOLE AFFECTS EVERYONE SO IT'S BALANCED

LikeABoss    0

There is no such thing as a "peak" in an industry like this. Look at Movies and Music, those industries might have ups and downs, but they always will be a staple in our lives. Same with video games.

msbs    0

I dont care for Call of duty anymore. I used to play it quite alot until the made like 6 more games. I recently switched over to PC gaming and i play games like Quake 3 Arena and such. Better than Call of duty. I guess my answer is yes gaming has reached it peak.

serenade    2

I dont care for Call of duty anymore. I used to play it quite alot until the made like 6 more games. I recently switched over to PC gaming and i play games like Quake 3 Arena and such. Better than Call of duty. I guess my answer is yes gaming has reached it peak.

Well, people had said gaming reached its peak back in 2010, but look at it now. Let's use Skyrim as an example. Tons of people hated the elder scrolls series. Bethesda then come out with Skyrim and BAM! It becomes one of the most purchased games of 2011. I really think that gaming is going to peak sometime in 2015.

an0nym0us    2

to only reply to OP's post fps games when you break them down are always the same thing no matter how you present it, as for other types of games it has only grown take skyrim for example look at daggerfall and then tell me there is no improvement. Another more recent game was arkham city i loved arkham asylum and i love this game it improved on the game vastly because of how the openness of it. Certainly games and their quality are improving the only problem is that as it gets older companies are less likely to risk making a new ip, which means more call of duties. Keep in mind companies will only stop once the games stop selling well. Another reason for improvement is the ability for indie developers to put out a game. That means the whole money part of it is taken away and you get really good games, ie minecraft. Now we need to see an improvement of those indie games as in if they make a sequel it needs to have a lot of improvements and such, like how serious sam 3 its an indie title, it's versus mode sucks ass and feels tacked on now if they improved that aspect of the game next release or even patch it it would vastly improve quality.

majesty327    206

To be honest with you, I'm looking forward to what the future holds for gaming. Already has the Wii, PS3 and the Xbox made gaming more family orientated which really boosts marketability as a whole but also opens new doors for better ideas.

People that say a certain game will replace another such as Starwars vs WoW talk complete bullshit. You've already seen that BF3 compete with COD games. I happen to have played both Starwars and WoW and can tell you that Starwars is just a complete copy of WoW just with more bugs and a different style of gameplay.

@majesty327, your logic baffles me...how could you say that if someone is trying to get better at something and improve on what they already have that they will remain at the same stage? If you want to take up skateboarding but completely suck, have no balance and aren't confident but work on your balance and confidence; that would mean you are progressing not working at the same level.

Overall gaming is not at its peak.

Reread it. I said very clearly that if humanity wasn't always on the lookout for the "Bigger, better deal", we would still be in the stone age.

Well, people had said gaming reached its peak back in 2010, but look at it now. Let's use Skyrim as an example. Tons of people hated the elder scrolls series. Bethesda then come out with Skyrim and BAM! It becomes one of the most purchased games of 2011. I really think that gaming is going to peak sometime in 2015.

By 2015, we will have new technologies. That means more possibilities. Maybe graphics that look exactly like real life. Maybe games in the future will have literally infinite parameters for a given action. I have no idea what the future may hold, but people will still be cranking out ideas.

• Upvote 2

Marf    0

Morrowind_GOTY_Edition.jpg

Oblivion_GOTY_Boxcover.jpg

yep, people must really hate this series if the previous two games got game of the year

Edited by Marf

zenzile    2

I'm pretty sure gaming is still going strong. Skyrim is always fun, Minecraft is still expanding, Tf2 (gets really boring), I still love portal,and there are always new shooter or strategy games.

There is a lot of games out there that are completely amazing, I.E: Nitronic Rush, thats are not getting their chance to shine due to the fact that people are WAY to concentrated on major games.

BTW, who said L4D was dead? steam forums are soon to burst with it, and the reason beta testers are busy? the third is on its way.

also, alot of games are always ripped off the same general idea, like halo was to Red Faction, like CoD was to Medal of honor.

Like SKATE was to Tony hawk.

we just need better ideas, or let less known games have a chance to shine.

then we can get the gaming community running.

BTW, im too damn awake. had BAWLZ about 2 hours ago. im just going hardcore deathmetal and TF2 right now.

Who knows? Games seem to repeat themselves, people haven`t added anything new to shooters in years. But if people can start thinking of new games, than not yet.

Left4Bread    1211

But if people can start thinking of new games, than not yet.

First off, why grey? Secondly, people have been creating new and original concepts for games since the dawn of time. You're just looking in the wrong places. Sure, indie games don't make as much money as Copy of Paste, but damn, they have some great games.

NaggyBastard    21

Yes, people will keep playing old games, because they like them. I personally think the gaming industry will not go down since there are a lot of games out there that some people havent even heard of yet.

First off, why grey? Secondly, people have been creating new and original concepts for games since the dawn of time. You're just looking in the wrong places. Sure, indie games don't make as much money as Copy of Paste, but damn, they have some great games.

Well it just seems like people are starting to rip off of big games like CoD. Sometimes I see creative games come out, but most games all have the same concept.

majesty327    206

Well it just seems like people are starting to rip off of big games like CoD. Sometimes I see creative games come out, but most games all have the same concept.

I would like to see more games around the Zombie Genre. Ones more focused on survival (much like Dark Souls), and less on Run-&-Gun (like Left 4 Dead, and Dead Island, even though there is a lack of guns in Dead Island).

Renegade    1

Game developers need to really and I mean really stop milking their series to the point of redundancey.

ghskilla    89

Gaming evolves, so graphics, gameplay, realism, etc. aren't even close to their peak.

majesty327    206

Gaming evolves, so graphics, gameplay, realism, etc. aren't even close to their peak.

If any of you were playing games in the 8-bit/16-bit eras, you remember thinking to yourself "Can it get better than this?". It has. We are doing the same thing. It will get even better. Maybe controls will be based off of thought, instead of a button press.

Squishofdoom    142

No. If the developers would just listen to the players they'd have thousands of fresh ideas

For what game?

EVERYTHING.

Lesper    1

Gaming won't die out until real life is more entertaining than an imaginary, engineered world; something which is rather unlikely to occur. Technology keeps moving forward, and so games will too. There's a lot of things which game developers would like to do but can't due to computing limits. Games will keep getting more powerful, but the fun of the game will always be determined by the gamer.

In short, the games themselves will keep better, but you may not enjoy them more. Peak is where you put it.