Team Avolition
WhatsCS

Higgs Boson Particle

WhatsCS    1265

http://www.nytimes.c...iggs-boson.html

Basically, scientists at the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva say they may have found evidence that supports the Higgs Boson Particle. I find this to be fucking awesome because it may actually prove Hawking wrong, which is halarious, and helps explain why there is mass in the universe. Thoughts?

Also here is a video explaining what the article above says along with a brief explanation of what the particle is.

• Upvote 1

wetworker000    14

Why is proving Hawking wrong hilarious? I'm sure that deep down inside that afflicted man, when evidence that proves his carefully crafted theories wrong is confirmed, there's a part of him that wants to smile and say, "The next generation is smarter than me. Thank god." I'm sure he'd happily be wrong if it meant someone, somewhere was right.

• Upvote 2

ZWhitt1997    5

If this is correct, I expect more theists to except science. As a theist, this makes me happy, because it pains me to see very devout theists turn into bullshit fountains, and not except things such as evolution.

WhatsCS    1265

Why is proving Hawking wrong hilarious? I'm sure that deep down inside that afflicted man, when evidence that proves his carefully crafted theories wrong is confirmed, there's a part of him that wants to smile and say, "The next generation is smarter than me. Thank god." I'm sure he'd happily be wrong if it meant someone, somewhere was right.

D': now I'm sad... I said hilarious because he has been bashing the guy who came up with the Particle.

If this is correct, I expect more theists to except science. As a theist, this makes me happy, because it pains me to see very devout theists turn into bullshit fountains, and not except things such as evolution.

I highly doubt they will. This goes against most religions due to the fact that one, the Particle is called the God Particle, and two, because it helps reaffirm the fact that there may be no god at all. I'm not trying to crush your beliefs, you can believe what you want, I just hate it when people assume you believe or are too ignorant to see simple facts about the known world. Basically, don't take a word I just said as a personal attack.

rakiru    2713

Interesting. I shall wait for definitive proof until I give a fuck or two as they've been going at this for ages.

WongKong    0

Yeah now Stephan Hawking can stop rolling around in his wheelchair like he's the shit.

WhatsCS    1265
Interesting. I shall wait for definitive proof until I give a fuck or two as they've been going at this for ages.

Well what's different now is that instead of them just colliding shit and hoping for signs, they actually may have found evidence of the particle.

zebser    1078

That's pretty deep, man.

D': now I'm sad... I said hilarious because he has been bashing the guy who came up with the Particle.

Enlighten me.

Why is that justification for jumping the "let's give the famous smart ones a 'taste of their own medicine'" band wagon?

I'd be willing to be he intellectually disagrees with the guy, as opposed to jumping on his ass and saying "YOU'RE FUCKIN' WRONG!"

WhatsCS    1265

Enlighten me.

Why is that justification for jumping the "let's give the famous smart ones a 'taste of their own medicine'" band wagon?

I'd be willing to be he intellectually disagrees with the guy, as opposed to jumping on his ass and saying "YOU'RE FUCKIN' WRONG!"

I already did. But because you can't seem to read I will quote what I already said. Look up the controversy over the particle.

I said hilarious because he has been bashing the guy who came up with the Particle.

Now discuss what you think about the article or don't comment at all, especially when your question has been answered. Good night, sir!

WhatsCS    1265

I just want to yell at people who ask why it matters... "It matters because it helps explain gravity and helps explain why you weigh a certain amount, ya fucking dipshit" that's what I would say...

CaveJohnson12    207

I just want to yell at people who ask why it matters... "It matters because it helps explain gravity and helps explain why you weigh a certain amount, ya fucking dipshit" that's what I would say...

You're sort of off the mark there. It's the particle associated of the Higgs field, which is what gives certain particles mass. The reason why it's seen as an important thing to discover is because it's hard evidence for the Higgs field.

Sirenfal    4034

BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-16158374

I'm quite excited about this. The thing I find annoying is that there are still people saying things like "what's the point?" and "are there any practical applications for this?"

THAT IS NOT HOW SCIENCE WORKS.

20061129morbo.gif

ALL. HUMANS.

ARE VERMIN.

IN THE EYES OF MORBO

• Upvote 1