Team Avolition
Risingbreak

Diablo 3 Years Later

Risingbreak    7

There hasn't been a D3 post here since 2014, and since the game's had many updates and one new character class since RoS released, what's everyone's opinion on the game nowadays? I haven't played for months, and the Necromancer pack didn't interest me enough at the time to purchase it. I just got burnt out on adventure mode after running bounties and rifts for what felt like ages.

Sirenfal    4027
5 hours ago, Maniakdude said:

It is easily the black sheep of the trilogy. 

It might even be the black sheep of the genre.

• Like 1

Valkyrie    1347

I occasionally return when new seasons start to play with friends, but I have no desire to play Diablo 3 on my own. I've got no nostalgic connections to Diablo 2, and I think it's a much better game overall.

Ellipzocore    152

I regret buying it. My friend still loves playing every new season, but I stay away from it.

• Like 1

majesty327    206

Diablo 3 has the appeal of a slot machine.
It's a simple, repetitive game that has a lot of visual appeal, and has the appeal of RNG generated progression over player-driven progression.
I like the ideas of the game.
But Grim Dawn and Path of Exile easily surpass it.
But then again I strongly feel that Grim Dawn is a MUCH better game than any game you care to mention in the Diablo series. 

Sirenfal    4027

I agree. I consider Grim Dawn to be the spiritual successor to D2 for me at least. It's a shame they didn't give it proper multiplayer and a ladder.

Risingbreak    7

If that's the case, I'll have to pick up Grim Dawn at some point.  Just reading the Steam store page for it shows off quite the array of content and mechanics.

majesty327    206
On 3/16/2018 at 2:00 PM, Sirenfal said:

I agree. I consider Grim Dawn to be the spiritual successor to D2 for me at least. It's a shame they didn't give it proper multiplayer and a ladder.

On 3/16/2018 at 8:04 PM, Risingbreak said:

If that's the case, I'll have to pick up Grim Dawn at some point.  Just reading the Steam store page for it shows off quite the array of content and mechanics.

I agree with both. In a sense it's the "real" Diablo 3.
Considering it's both an expansion, and a refinement of mechanics and ideas defined by Diablo 2.
The only thing I really care for with Diablo 3, is that legendaries directly modify abilities and ability effects.
But Grim Dawn's open ended character development, its innumerable combinations and possibilities for driving character development, and its truly wonderful story and art take it to that next level.
I love Diablo 2, but Grim Dawn is a better game with a better story, and much better progression.
Proper multiplayer would be a good idea. What I'd love to see is a cleric type character, or potentially a bard type character.