Team Avolition
Sign in to follow this  
Wolkenschlange

Sports

Hello, I was curious if any of you guys play sports/exercise?

Ever played a sport?

What is your favorite sport?

If not, is there a specific reason?

Personally I quit weightlifting after two and a half years, and I'm going to try out MMA soon.
I did kickboxing a year before I started lifting weights in order to gain weight, now I want to return to martial arts and MMA seems a bit more exciting than just kickboxing

Legion    543

I played football all throughout Middle School and was in the drumline and tennis team all throughout High School.

Football and Tennis are absolutely my favorite sports because one is incredibly complex and fun to watch and the other is all skill, all day.

Even though I still wasn't really "in shape" (chubby as fuck) unfortunately for me I abandoned all of that when I went to college, to focus on my education. So for four years I ate like shit and did no activity besides walking around campus (which was a lot of walking mind you)

Eventually I grew to a whopping 240 pounds, at the beginning of the year, and then I decided enough was enough.

Been on a cut since then, dropped from 240 to 180 currently, got super into weigh lifting and tennis again. Learned to like cardio, planning on doing some 10k's next year. I still watch the fuck out of college football and play in local rec teams. I wanna pick up martial arts soon, that sound hella fun. Maybe Judo.

I feel fucking great as well. Best shape I've ever been in, and I mean that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Legion said:

I played football all throughout Middle School and was in the drumline and tennis team all throughout High School.

Football and Tennis are absolutely my favorite sports because one is incredibly complex and fun to watch and the other is all skill, all day.

Even though I still wasn't really "in shape" (chubby as fuck) unfortunately for me I abandoned all of that when I went to college, to focus on my education. So for four years I ate like shit and did no activity besides walking around campus (which was a lot of walking mind you)

Eventually I grew to a whopping 240 pounds, at the beginning of the year, and then I decided enough was enough.

Been on a cut since then, dropped from 240 to 180 currently, got super into weigh lifting and tennis again. Learned to like cardio, planning on doing some 10k's next year. I still watch the fuck out of college football and play in local rec teams. I wanna pick up martial arts soon, that sound hella fun. Maybe Judo.

I feel fucking great as well. Best shape I've ever been in, and I mean that.

Nice to hear stories like these, it's very motivating.

I noticed you're from Tennessee, so when you say football I interpret it as rugby and not soccer

I highly recommend martial arts, it so much different from everything else. I did Judo when I was a kid and I have good memories of it!

Legion    543
12 minutes ago, Wolkenschlange said:

Nice to hear stories like these, it's very motivating.

I noticed you're from Tennessee, so when you say football I interpret it as rugby and not soccer

I highly recommend martial arts, it so much different from everything else. I did Judo when I was a kid and I have good memories of it!

Yeah I suppose what I really mean is "hand egg", the the American Football.

I just feel weird about doing martial arts because I don't want to be surrounded by kids who could destroy me lmao.

2 minutes ago, Legion said:

Yeah I suppose what I really mean is "hand egg", the the American Football.

I just feel weird about doing martial arts because I don't want to be surrounded by kids who could destroy me lmao.

Everyone has to start somewhere, even if you're doing Judo out of fun and not for competitive reasons, it's all about improving the art.

I used to do kickboxing at a gym where they also trained guys who were getting ready for first amateur fights.

This one time I had to spar with a 95kg (209lbs) fighter with 6 years of experience on him, and he wasn't in the mood to slow down for some 60kg (132lbs) kid.
Though kind of weird to go hard on a fresh kickboxer with a few months experience, when you're a 6'2, 209lbs beast; you have to accept that every opportunity is a chance to learn something.

The guy ended up injuring my left hand though, which eventually led me to stop for a while but that's not really relevant lol

Any chance, even unfair, or when you're significantly outskilled or whatever is a great opportunity to learn something, besides you can always ask the person to go a little bit slower and/or explain you're new. There's no shame in that especially not from someone who is new.

From experience I can tell you that 99% of the people that do martial arts have huge respect for each other, and will be very kind to new people, so don't let being the new guy keep you away from trying it out.

May have ran my mouth a bit too much and went off-topic but I hope it helps!

Legion    543
4 minutes ago, Wolkenschlange said:

Any chance, even unfair, or when you're significantly outskilled or whatever is a great opportunity to learn something, besides you can always ask the person to go a little bit slower and/or explain you're new. There's no shame in that especially not from someone who is new.

Definitely words I live by. I love getting my ass kicked, or getting shown up. It makes me want to improve so much more than just sitting at the top.

Thanks for the encouragement! Something to think about going into the new year.

• Upvote 1

Pit_2    4

I've been doing martial arts since kindergarten.  Never had to beat anyone up but it sure is nice to have that level of self-confidence.

In high school and my freshman year of college, I did marching band, and that's more physical activity than most people realize.  Not many people can march with good technique while playing with good technique, from memory, and not pass out.  Especially when you rehearse on those 90-degree hot afternoons.

1 hour ago, Pit_2 said:

I've been doing martial arts since kindergarten.  Never had to beat anyone up but it sure is nice to have that level of self-confidence.

In high school and my freshman year of college, I did marching band, and that's more physical activity than most people realize.  Not many people can march with good technique while playing with good technique, from memory, and not pass out.  Especially when you rehearse on those 90-degree hot afternoons.

Marching Band must be some work.

• Downvote 1

Legion    543
18 minutes ago, CrazyXboxGamer said:

Marching Band must be some work.

They honestly are. It takes an immense amount of coordination, band camp is usually 12 hour days in 100+ degree weather, outside 90% of it. Then 3 hour practices every day. + football (hand egg) games.

But being active != being fit. You can't outrun a bad diet like I tried to. Though my legs are fucking tree trunks thanks to the amount of marching we did.

37 minutes ago, mariojack said:

I play Cricket and sometimes Rugby but that's about it

Cool. I have never actually played Cricket or Rugby.

• Downvote 1

iPickedScout    682
6 hours ago, Wolkenschlange said:

Hello, I was curious if any of you guys play sports/exercise?

Ever played a sport?

What is your favorite sport?

If not, is there a specific reason?

Personally I quit weightlifting after two and a half years, and I'm going to try out MMA soon.
I did kickboxing a year before I started lifting weights in order to gain weight, now I want to return to martial arts and MMA seems a bit more exciting than just kickboxing

I was o-line left tackle for my 4 years of highschool, played soccer, baseball, and flag football until I was like 12, and tennis usually for entire summers. As for the first question, I don't play any sports currently, but I go to the gym 3-4 times a week.