Team Avolition
xTeraa

Fortnite Developer Epic Games Suing Cheaters

xTeraa    78

As people that sometimes may find yourselves modifying or cheating in games what are your thoughts in Epic Games trying to crack down on cheating by suing?

I'm not a huge fan of cheating in PvP or shooter type games but this is blatant overreaching right? I don't know where the copyright argument stands in terms of modifying if you're not distributing game code since I'm not knowledgeable in that regard but I assume it's not a very strong argument. I understand that games can write in their policies about banning for any reason but I assume it's our right to modify any software we buy or download that is running on our machine.

What are your thoughts? I'm sure there are people here who have more nuanced opinions that myself.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/27/16707562/epic-games-fortnite-cheating-lawsuit-debate-14-year-old-kid

Sirenfal    4034

It's a stupid argument. If you want to ban people, sure, do that.

No company can or should be allowed to dictate what you do on your own computer. Case closed.

• Upvote 2

revan114    1186

I'm just fucking baffled beyond belief that there are actually people who are arguing for Fornite in this case en masse.

Like yeah, a fucking 14 year old cheated in a game, and cheating is bad and all, but to say he deserves to fucking lose $140,000 for it? That's a fucking bit excessive, don't you think? It's crazy how about 85% of people in the comments on his video are agreeing with Fortnite on this.

"well he cheated so he has to pay the price" but he's fucking 14, and its $140,000. Come the fuck on now. That's retarded.

I'm with Sirenfal, just fucking ban him.

Risingbreak    7

I understand that the lawsuit mostly has to do with the DMCA counter claim on this kids video where he demonstrated said cheats, but does epic games really need to take it this far? It's already been said, but just ban him. Epic games appears to actively trying to make an example out of this kid to deter others, when you could just fucking ban them. Do they really think actively trying to sue a 14 year old is going to go down well from a PR standpoint?

Well, considering all the fucking bellends in the comments section of both the article and the video calling for this kid's head, I might be wrong on the PR thing.

Sirenfal    4034

For whatever it's worth they did ban him eleven times, but they also run a free to play game with limited anticheat so I don't have much sympathy for them. Feelings towards lawsuit are unchanged.

• Like 1

Narka    614

The comment section on YouTube is mindblowing. People are acting like he made any lasting impact on the game because he was cheating. This is a game that has no scoreboard or ranking, and half the server is dead within the first five minutes anyway.

These people are going ballistic over a kid costing people five minutes of their time.

• Like 1

majesty327    206

To an extent I agree with suing cheaters.
Especially if there's any financial component to it, such as premium features or freemium crap. This can be as disruptive to a business as shattering the display glass at a deli and throwing salami to people.
Having said that, modifying software isn't, and should not be illegal.
So it's kind of in this weird grey area where creating and installing and making a cheat client isn't and shouldn't be illegal, but using one is. 
Does he deserve to lose $140k on it? Maybe. The issue is precedent, and I think that's more the point of the lawsuit, than enforcement. They don't want $140k from this kid specifically, they want to scare people away from using cheat clients.
Rampant cheaters murder games and can collapse a business. But rampant cheaters are also a product of stupid or lazy devs. 

I'm talking out of my ass, it's more my own thoughts. Feel free to correct me where I'm wrong. 

Edited by majesty327

117    17

The way I see it is that by finding exploits and using them it keeps devs from becoming lazy. For example, if you make a game and you hear rumors of players turning on god mode but you don't know how you would probably try and figure out the exploit and then try to patch it and maybe even add more features. And I agree with:

16 hours ago, Sirenfal said:

It's a stupid argument. If you want to ban people, sure, do that.

No company can or should be allowed to dictate what you do on your own computer. Case closed.

because the game on the server side isn't being modified only on the end-user side, on top of that it is just a game why would anyone have to go so low as to sue.

The neat thing is that the kid is fourteen and maybe he is a script kiddie but I think the kid might end up getting an interest in writing his own code and what kind of software company would be against kids learning about software? lol

No, but I can see where the developers stand I hope (Keeping the game fair) and not something petty, but honestly, stop being lazy and patch your game.

On a personal note, I'm against people who distribute their cheats sometimes because it gets patched faster, think of the games that have had dev or user patches done due to distributors or communities rapid patching.

Honestly tho I am tired and just putting my mind to it

Also, I wrote this like at 3:something and the connection went out so sorry if this seems a bit late.

Edited by 117
Finished Thought

Remy    307

Epic Games are suing cheaters in a F2P game that they developed which has no anti-cheat system in place. And they think this is a good idea. Cliffy, did a cheater hack your Roblox account or something?