Team Avolition
Sign in to follow this  
revan114

Are programming books actually useless?

revan114    1186

So I keep getting mixed responses on this question so I figured I'd ask the collective of the Team Volition what they feel about this.

Are programming books generally useless, unless it's a specific topic, such as graphics, engine design, algorithms, etc? 

On that note, how do you tell a good programming book from a bad one? How do I stop asking stupid questions?

Gam3rzRus    17

If you have already learned one language and if you get, for example, a C Programming book it can help you transition from one to the other, but generally if you wouldn't say you're fluent in any particular language I would use the book alongside an instructor or video tutorial series. Books on specific topics are useful if you plan on using that information for a project, hobby or career. I would say the books are useless, but they shouldn't be the only thing you rely on.

Edited by Gam3rzRus

revan114    1186
Just now, Gam3rzRus said:

If you have already learned one language and if you get, for example, a C Programming book it can help you transition from one to the other, but generally if you wouldn't say you're fluent in any particular language I would use the book alongside an instructor or video tutorial series. Books on specific topics are useful if you plan on using that information for a project, hobby or career. I would say the books aren't useless, but they shouldn't be the only thing you rely on.

Gotcha.

Sirenfal    4034

Programming books are only useful for specialties, not general programming. Examples might be compiler theory, AI theory... pretty much anything with "theory" in the name

• Like 1

Phlyrox    1112
2 hours ago, revan114 said:

Are programming books generally useless, unless it's a specific topic, such as graphics, engine design, algorithms, etc?

They're useless if you don't learn anything from them. In a way, they're about as useful as shitposts on the internet, except they're more likely to be worth paying money for.

On that note, how do you tell a good programming book from a bad one?

Unless you wanna go down the road of judging a book by its cover, you won't able to tell until you've gone through and understood it. If you mean how do you tell if what you're getting from the book is good or not, that will probably come after you make use of whatever is in the book. Easiest thing to do is just let other people tell you if it's good or not, and hope they're right.

How do I stop asking stupid questions?

If JavaScript is garbage collected, why does it still exist?