Team Avolition
revan114

new job anxiety

revan114    1186

so I have an interview lined up on Sunday for a stocking position at a local market. If I get the job this will be my first job since a 3 month long stint at a Whataburger where I was an anxiety ridden mess  (rush hour sucks. also it was made worse because i had no meds) now that I'm medicated and I am 19 years old and bored as fuck and want a car (and a gun and new headphones) I have decided to start working again.

I'm not sure if it's my last bad experience fucking with me, or just general anxiety from the auts, but I'm very nervous about all this. I imagine that everyone goes through this with every job, but I keep thinking of all the things during the interview that can go wrong, or all the things I can do to fuck up on the job. Anybody got some advice for the local dumbass bumbo to help him stop being a pussy!!?

Ashanti    2

It's pretty normal to feel this way to be honest, especially if it's your first time there. For situations like these, it's a good idea to stabilize yourself, talk to people, listen to something relaxing, anything to get your mind off a lot of the things that are inducing the anxiety.. Though I feel like preparing for the interview is a good way to get around this. Check out the place's Glassdoor profile, and you can see some of the interview experiences from others, along with questions that they are likely to say. 

What kind of thing specifically are bothering you? 

• Upvote 1

revan114    1186
Just now, Ashanti said:

What kind of thing specifically are bothering you? 

Mainly just fucking things up.

Plus I am afraid I'll hate it and the days will take forever.

It is just stocking though. Just putting shit on a shelf. But then comes "what if I am too slow"

Edited by revan114

Ashanti    2
15 minutes ago, revan114 said:

Mainly just fucking things up.

Plus I am afraid I'll hate it and the days will take forever.

It is just stocking though. Just putting shit on a shelf. But then comes "what if I am too slow"

Well, if you do end up getting the job, it's good to find something you like about it. Most jobs like this suck anyways, but they're temporary at the end of all things. I've got friends who're stuck doing 12 hour shifts daily, and they are dying.. However, I highly doubt you'll ever get a shift that large, especially if you're working in stocking. 

It's important also to understand that, being too slow is not really a thing to worry about. If you go too fast, you'll screw up most definitely, if you're slow.. you learn and you figure out ways to do things more efficiently that do save time.  These issues you're worrying about at the moment should only bother you in the first week or so of working, but if you get an understanding for your environment, and the culture that runs the workplace there, it should be easier for you mentally. It's always good to ask the staff there how to improve upon things. How they would do said task, etc. 

Edited by Ashanti
  • Upvote 1

dejordzta    1688

If it's any consolation, I work at a busy cinema (I'm sure I've told you this like 8 times already though, lol) and I was the same. Super quiet and super anxious that I'd fuck it up, or not do well since it was my first job. Now I realize being anxious and having anxiety isn't the same, but after a little while I eventually just got into the rhythm of using the till, moving stock, cleaning, etc. 

Now, five years on (on and off with work at Weta Workshop), I'm a Duty Manager of the complex. If I can go from quiet, shy, nervous wreck to personable, confident manager - I'm sure you'll be able to handle it just fine. Especially now you've grown up a bit and have medication, too.

• Upvote 2

Keit1h    8

Honestly just do it and eventually it goes away. It's the same shit when you were a little shit going into highschool or a highschool student going into college. You might make a few mistakes, but don't worry too much, since everyone does when they're first starting out.

Also I don't think you can be too slow stocking shit in shelves. I've seen some people move at fucking handicap grandma speed and nobody said a word.

revan114    1186
Just now, Keit1h said:

Honestly just do it and eventually it goes away. It's the same shit when you were a little shit going into highschool or a highschool student going into college. You might make a few mistakes, but don't worry too much, since everyone does when they're first starting out.

Also I don't think you can be too slow stocking shit in shelves. I've seen some people move at fucking handicap grandma speed and nobody said a word.

i didnt go to high school or college :#

Also I went to the interview, and it was pretty quick and easy. She said she was considering 10 other people and only wanted 2 or 3, and it wasn't strictly stocking, but it was kind of a little of everything. She said I should hear back from her tomorrow on if I got it or not.

So here's hoping. :D

Ashanti    2
4 hours ago, revan114 said:

i didnt go to high school or college :#

Also I went to the interview, and it was pretty quick and easy. She said she was considering 10 other people and only wanted 2 or 3, and it wasn't strictly stocking, but it was kind of a little of everything. She said I should hear back from her tomorrow on if I got it or not.

So here's hoping. :D

Glad to hear! 

Hopefully she will give you a call back.. I'm still waiting on the results of an interview I had last Friday at a candy store.

If she doesn't call back in a few days, it's not a bad idea to check in just to find out if you received the position or not, or if she is still going through the interview process with other candidates.

Phlyrox    1112

This might not apply to you for this job but it also helps if you like your work. I understand that everyone doesn't have the luxury of always putting all their efforts towards doing something they like, it's something to keep in mind when fulfilling other obligations. For me at least, it gives me the motivation to do the things that need to be done, regardless of whether i like them or not, because once it is done I have the freedom to do what I want without any pressure.

It makes more sense in my head, not sure how to explain it but i hope you get the gist.