Team Avolition
Dabato

Help I fell for the c++ meme

Dabato    2

I started developing a game in C++/SDL and I have written about 20,000 loc of it, and I realized I can progress a lot quicker in java or some game engine, however I don't want to rewrite from scratch, because all of my work up to that point will be wasted. What do?

Narka    614

If you would have started in Java, this thread would be titled "Help I fell for the java meme." The grass is always greener. As said previously, nut up and finish the game.

• Upvote 1

m1enkrafft_man    142

If you really don't want to continue writing in C++, you can always extend it in another language through your build chain's FFI in whatever language you care to use (with reasonable exceptions, obviously - the language(s) have to be supported).

• Upvote 1

Sirenfal    4034
7 hours ago, BeeJesus said:

If you would have started in Java, this thread would be titled "Help I fell for the java meme." The grass is always greener. As said previously, nut up and finish the game.

Python actually is greener though

4 hours ago, m1enkrafft_man said:

If you really don't want to continue writing in C++, you can always extend it in another language through your build chain's FFI in whatever language you care to use (with reasonable exceptions, obviously - the language(s) have to be supported).

This guy. Lua is easy to integrate, start writing non-performance critical parts using Lua.

• Upvote 2

ecx    12

This probably suggests your engine isn't too great. You should try to fix that first.

revan114    1186
16 hours ago, ecx said:

This probably suggests your engine isn't too great. You should try to fix that first.

im gonna fix u punk.

also echoing what krysk says: python is greenest of green. fuck trash++ go python

ecx    12
On 9/5/2017 at 9:58 PM, Phlyrox said:

speaking of greener languages, can you guys share your thoughts on kotlin?

It patches some of the bad syntax Java has (e.g. operator overloads) but it doesn't address the underlying issues like type erasure. That's why I don't think it solves the problem.

On 8/30/2017 at 2:02 AM, Sirenfal said:

Python actually is greener though

This guy. Lua is easy to integrate, start writing non-performance critical parts using Lua.

Lua: Okay but there's no builtin bitwise operators. Gross.

Python: Right, like anyone's ever written an industrial realtime graphics application in that. Good for basically everything else though.

Edited by ecx

Sirenfal    4034
9 hours ago, ecx said:

Lua: Okay but there's no builtin bitwise operators. Gross.

No builtin anything, really. It's tables all the way down

9 hours ago, ecx said:

Python: Right, like anyone's ever written an industrial realtime graphics application in that. Good for basically everything else though.

B-but they have though. EVE Online, World of Tanks, Civilization 4?????