Team Avolition
Original

Where are you now in relation to when you joined the forum

Sirenfal    4041
6 hours ago, xTeraa said:

When I joined the forums I was a squeaky 14 almost 15 years old. I think I was looking to be apart of a community and the aVo team seemed to be smart in a way that I wanted to be. Things like editing all the signs of a server blew my mind and looking back was quite inspiring to me. The idea of out smarting the creator of something and breaking the universe they created was very appealing to me, especially while having some laughs doing it. I made some great friends hanging out in Ventrilo (I think it was vent) during those times. My programming prowess mostly consisted of imitation and plagiarism at that time. A little down the line I had the opportunity to be in a video and with the team which looking back I think was a rather cool moment, if I had told the me that first joined the forums I don't know that I would have believed me. 

It's over 6 years later now and I'm about to start my 3rd year of University studying design. I've been through a few new online communities but they often had drama and I've become more distant to them. I think that might be one of the reasons I've started looking here again, it's appeared to be a bit of a rock in an internet where small communities come and go. One thing that's been pretty constant since I joined though is my fascination with computer security and technology in general, although I've never really been an outstanding individual in these areas, looking back I have progressed a lot. I'm not incredibly close friends with anyone in this community nowadays except maybe one or two people, however people in this community and especially Krysk have been incredibly helpful on the off chance I have reached out for help or advice. Since I have no formal education in programming I have a lot of holes in my knowledge so it can be difficult but nowadays I can achieve most things I want to do in programming if I put my mind to it. As of late I've been taking interest and learning about CPU Architecture, Assembly and generally the lower levels where software and hardware meet. I think it's cool how some simple concepts can get infinitely abstracted to make them more and more powerful.

Damn, that was a lot of writing. Felt good to do though.
TL;DR   -    I was dumb but now I'm a little less dumb I guess.

<3

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

PigHunter    301

I was a dumb kid who played video games instead of doing school. I thought the avolition videos were hilarious and ended up joining up here. Lurked unless I wanted to take something someone said on the internet seriously. I worked on not worrying so much about other people and started making friends, online and off; although I never got close with anyone here. Avolition got me my interest in security and programming and I've expanded on that in mostly shallow ways since then. My bad habits I formed when I was young dug me in a massive hole and I gave up on education for a bit. Saved a bunch of money from working shit jobs, got stressed and tired of being stagnant. This culminated to me fucking off to Asia for a few months wiping out my savings. Now that I'm out of high school I'm finally working on getting out of the hole I dug. Life has been pretty good for a while. Learned how to keep myself happy even if everything is shit. Things are getting better than good nowadays though.

(also we should all hop on Halo:CE, Dystopia, or some other game soon)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

greengreens1    138

Was a nerdy 15 yr old that really wanted to see ebin minecraft hacks at the time. Eventually joined but really lurked and only contributed when it really interested me. Eventually became much more lax on trying to impress people as well and started to find actual friends instead of having to pretend a lot. I finally was able to also make some money as well in order to really start investing in things as well. After going through some pretty rough patches after graduating high school and stumbling through engineering, I've really found my passion in biochemistry and will (if everything pans out right) will be graduating university this year. I've gotten a lot better at being more in control and not panicking at things as well, with having many more actual friends and going pretty steady right now. Also currently being the one of the mods on the Internet Historian discord as well is pretty good as well.  

Oh yeah and i kinda like a bit of alcohol as well. 

Edited by greengreens1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Remy    307

Truth be told, I first joined way back in 2011 when aVo were hot-shit in the griefing department and I was a cringey edgelord-tier mega-faggot still stuck in highschool with a sense of fashion that was comprised of black clothes and 'lel funneh yet edgy' t-shirts. Y'know, the stereotypical corner-sitting loner that listened to Nu Metal and tried to paint himself as this stoic, hard-boiled loner but came off as a depressing, unfunny and unlikable cockhead.

6 years later and a lot of good life choices helped me shed that horrendous image. I came out to my immediate and extended family and was rewarded with love and understanding, I got a pretty sweet gig as a bartender at a gaming pub (still working there now as assistant manager), met my boyfriend, had enough money to both help support my family and save up for when I move out, updated my fashion to a more modern standard and I'm as happy and content as I can hope to be.

Still, I'll never forget the shenanigans I got into when playing Minecraft and Gmod. Back then you'd be playing in a DarkRP server on Gmod and the mere mention of an aVo team member (possibly) being inside of the session sent everyone into a frenzy. Hell, some people went out of their way to be griefed by them, just for a sliver of a chance of making it into one of their videos. RiceThink, MCCraft, EFcraft, the rage montages that were compiled, the video threats from server admins...

6. Fucking. Years. How the fuck did we get here?

Edited by Remy
  • Downvote 1

QueenOfKawaii    284

I joined in the spring of 2012 when I was 13 years old and was just finishing middle school. I had no friends, no aspirations, and I was in desperate need of someone to talk to. Then Minecraft got super big and when I was browsing youtube I found Avo and latched onto it because I finally found people with a similar sense of humor as me. When I joined, I became friends with some people and even though there was stupid drama, it was nice because it felt like I actually had people to talk to. 

Now, I'm (almost) 19 years old, work full time at an office and I just finished my first paid short film last week. I have people in my life that truly do matter to me - some from these forums, others from ~outside the internet~ - but it's weird to think of me being so excited to sign up for this and talk to people when I was 13. I miss this place even with all the dumb fights and shit, and I miss the people in it. I haven't even lurked here in months - it just popped into my head 20 minutes ago and now I'm all sentimental and shit. But I'm glad that I found this place during a really tough time in my life, and I really do believe it had an impact on who I am. 

It also taught me people on the internet are dumb and yelling at them isn't worth my time, so I'm probably most grateful for that piece of information.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Narka    614

I don't remember when I got here, but I was a faggot. I still am a faggot and have no intentions on quitting.

Avolition was pretty huge for me, now that I think about it. It was pretty much the first exposure I had to programmatically breaking the rules for fun and profit, and it was crazy finding people lightyears ahead of you when it came to computer technology/science concepts. Krysk's explanation of bytecode injection to simplify updating Reliant was the first thing in terms of programming that made me say "holy shit, that is so fucking cool." Things like that really open your eyes to the talent that's out there, and give you something to aspire to.

I'm currently working for a small engineering firm that contracts out to some very large corporations. I write small software conveniences, Solidworks addons, etc. here and there and manage automated backups, their Windows domain, and the like. After burning myself out on learning for a period of time my senior year of high school, I'm picking back up where I left off. I've been toying with reliving the formative days and fucking around with some projects for Minecraft/Garry's Mod, but I have some other projects I'm currently working on right now.

Although the ship has already sailed, a part of me holds out that little bit of hope that I'll get to see one last Avolition video of them fucking something up and get to say "fuck, they go hard" like the way I used to before I ever went hard, and be inspired to make my own moves.

Edited by BeeJesus
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Risingbreak    7

Back in 2012 I was just starting high school and had a PC that couldn't even run minecraft at more than 20 fps. It was through Avo videos that got I into minecraft, and subsequently using mods for various games. Looking back on it i realize i knew basically nothing about computers besides really basic actions. Throughout the years I taught myself more and more about PCs and generally how they work, and even chose to learn some very simple programming skills. Because i was shy (and somewhat still am) i basically just lurked to the point of being inactive. About a month ago i decided to log back into my account after re-watching old aVo videos.

Now I'm almost 19 and currently in college to become a paralegal. Hopefully I'll be getting my full drivers licence very soon. I'll Always have Avolition to thank for sparking my interest in computers, thus making me a knowledgeable PC gamer.

Edited by Risingbreak
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Syphist    1415

I was 16 at the time. I pretty much spent most of my time lurking and posting on forums. I don't remember how I found Team Avolition's videos, but when I did I was hooked. I watched every single video I could and eventually found out about the forums in 1 of the videos and joined. I did a lot of lurking and easily caught on what was acceptable here (or at least I thought I caught on easily) and started shitposting like the rest of us. I pretty much went through early high school with these forums. It was honestly fun hanging out with a lot of you guys for so long.

Now I am just an idiot working at a call center that spends most of his time on twitch. I'm hoping to get into some kind of IT job eventually but I'm not in too much of a rush. All in all, despite some of the drama I may have ended up causing a lot of people here had a positive impact on my life.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Phlyrox    1112

short version: I didn't even know about all the stuff I don't know when I joined. Now I have a better idea of the things I don't know. And now I get paid.

I was not really into minecraft, but I started playing it because a friend was as well. I am not creative, or imaginative so my friend had to show me all the shenanigans we could off. So he linked me one of avo's videos. I forget if the link to the forums was in the description or if I looked it up after watching the video, and I saw the programming section. There I got really drawn in by the guides, and resources so I signed up to say hi and make (what I thought were) witty replies. (and def not to get into vent so I can hear storm)

At that time I was first year in college, studying to be a mechanical engineer. I had started programming since freshman year of high school, and was the lead programmer for our school's robotics team for the 3 years after. I thought knew a lot about real world programming because of it (I don't think I've ever been more wrong). I was good at math, liked physics, and liked the idea of designing machines, so I entered college as ME student. But the programming section on the forums here had me start experimenting with code again. Half a year later I switched majors to comp sci; I loved coding.

As I started visiting the forums looking for resources, I saw posts about other games and shows. Started watching anime that was not naruto or otherwise on cartoon network. And trying to make friends because lot of people around the forums (some inactive) had similar interests as me. Started "hanging out" (no mic) with the mumble crowd, making stupidly simple irc bots, and possibly annoying watcher7. Then started watching bones and rkrx's streams as they played league and tried learning it. And now as sad as it might be, pretty much only hangout with or talk to people I've met online. And all of I've met because of someone on this forum. I remember 2 years ago I was being extra depressed (tried killing myself), and krysk was tried to comfort me. Of course I ended up pushing him away, but the effort meant a lot. My other online friends that I have now are similar in that sense and I am very thankful for them putting up with me. I might have met other people like that without avo, but there's no denying that without avo I would not be talking to anyone I currently talk to regularly.

I don't visit the forums as much anymore because it seems like everyone (or maybe just me) has different interests now and there isn't much for me to say.

Now I have a job that I love. It's at a small company so I have a lot of freedom in what I can do, but without the pressures of a start up. For better or worse, I get to work on everything related to software development. From gathering requirements, designing, building, to supporting it. I doubt I would be learning even a 10th of what I am learning now if I worked at a 'normal' company at an entry level position. And I really do not think I would of been able to get a job like this if it were not for the influence this forum had on me. 

I never learned to properly meme though. please teach me

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

ecx    13

I still don't know anything about computers.

Edited by ecx
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

logantp    16

I was 10 years old and obsessed with team avo, now im a edgy 13 year old kid who grows Mendocino Greeno in his closet

OH YEAH

Edited by logantp
  • Downvote 6

Gam3rzRus    17

When I joined this forum, I was a cringey middle-schooler, and now I'm a cringey CS major freshman.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

m1enkrafft_man    142

First started watching some of their videos in 2011, eventually wound up on the forums by the end of that year. I was 14/15 and in high school, Fairly generic small town kid from the panhandle area in Florida, and didn't have much exposure to technology growing up. My first actual introduction to anything "programming" related came from these forums, and drove me to try and learn as much as I could. Primarily lurked around, but I posted on occasion. Eventually (as in 3 months ago) I finished up my four years at college studying CIS (because CS required Calc II and I wasn't about that life). Right now I'm actually in the middle of packing to move to San Francisco, because I got a sweet gig doing AppSec/Red Teaming for a popular fruit-derived tech company. Couldn't have ever imagined back then that I'd be here, but it's actually really interesting about how different my life would have ended up if I had never stumbled across the team's videos.

Seriously, to everyone here: I can't thank you enough for creating/being a part of this community. I lurked far more than I should have, but this website was a, extremely important part of my life.

tl;dr: Avolition&community got me interested in programming, 6 years later I'm now doing AppSec for a living. Crazy times.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Xero-Space    2330

So I joined about 6 years ago, and I can't imagine how different my life actually would be if I hadn't signed up. I wasn't really active until 6 months later and was pretty fucking autistic but I'd like to think I'm slightly better now. As this forum started dying down I actually got invested in League of Legends forums and am heavily involved in their General Discussion community. As cringy as it may sound, that's kinda how I met my current girlfriend, who of which I'd actually want to spend my life with.

This forum originally got me interested in programming, but even though that fell through, it helped me find what I wanted to do for a career, which was in servers. I just recently graduated from a tech school for network administration and am just kinda sorta relaxing for a year or two before I go into a serious job for that. I actually have some job opportunities open right now, one with a cable/internet company, and the other with the city I live in, so I may take one of them up.

I'm kind of surprised how me joining some forum about some Minecraft griefers would affect my life so much, and in the end made me a happier person.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

FatBeef    7
On 8/29/2017 at 11:01 PM, Sirenfal said:

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I don't know how we here at Team Avolition can make amends but we'll think of something someday

Why's San Fran so bad?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Remy    307
5 hours ago, FatBeef said:

Why's San Fran so bad?

Because it's ground zero for every holier-than-thou, weed-choofing, SJW, alt left landwhale in existence and it's such a detestable sludge factory of smug self-satisfaction that even living within 10 miles of San Francisco will cause your hair to turn into a neon blur monstrosity, your body fat increases by 300% and your higher brain function gets sucked out and is replaced with Buzzfeed videos.

That... is why San Fran is so bad. 

Edited by Remy
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

FatBeef    7
18 hours ago, Remy said:

Because it's ground zero for every holier-than-thou, weed-choofing, SJW, alt left landwhale in existence and it's such a detestable sludge factory of smug self-satisfaction that even living within 10 miles of San Francisco will cause your hair to turn into a neon blur monstrosity, your body fat increases by 300% and your higher brain function gets sucked out and is replaced with Buzzfeed videos.

That... is why San Fran is so bad. 

Yeah I definitely agree with that. I have family that lives about 30 minutes out in the suburbs though, and they're right-wing. All depends on where you go.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

FatBeef    7

When I first joined I was a fat 14 year old gamer. Now I'm a little-less fat 15 year old football player. Go figure.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1