Team Avolition
Sign in to follow this  
AnalAvenger

What's the best language to learn to fulfill these functions?

AnalAvenger    324

So, for my FBLA competition this year, I decided to do a most likely straight-to-nationals event, because nobody really knows how to do it until you get to the National level.

The event I chose is called "Coding and Programming", formerly "Desktop Application Development". I'm not really experienced at programming in any way, but I have up until February to design this program:

Coding & Programming-

Develop a database program to manage the general operations of a Family Entertainment Center (FEC). Give the FEC a name. The program must allow the user to compete at minimum the following tasks:

1. Enter/view/edit a list of employees.

2. Create/edit a weekly work schedule for employees

3. Generate/print weekly schedule reports

4. Enter attendance of customers

5. Enter/track, generate, and print report(s) showing customer attendance by time of day (AM/PM) and day of week.

What would be the best language to start learning for these purposes?

Edited by AnalAvenger

Noodles777    40

Since you're most likely looking at a database back end you'll need SQL, and a database management system (DBMS). I don't have any pros/cons for any particular DBMS, so might want to do some research, although off the top of my head I'd recommend MySQL. Pretty easy installation procedure on both Windows and Linux (though I feel like this can be said for almost any of them), and relatively easy to do configuration tasks etc. It should also have drivers for all major languages, which MySQL call "MySQL Connectors". These basically give you a nice and convenient way to execute SQL queries against your MySQL database directly from your code.

For your actual program/front end you'll probably want a GUI application (or at least that's what I gleamed from the context), so I'd say .NET framework is your best bet. For that any CLI language should work (https://en.wikipedia...f_CLI_languages). Personally I'd go with C#, since it was developed by Microsoft specifically for .NET, and the language is pretty easy to grasp. It should also be pretty easy to design a GUI using Visual Studio, and C#.

Edited by Noodles777
  • Upvote 4

blind7125    1924

I had to do a project almost exactly like this for an intro course in VB.NET and ADO.NET. Honestly, if you understand basic programming structures and typical syntax, this will be a walk in the park for you.

Edit: What I mean by walk in the park, is that I completed this assignment in less than in day on a language I had been using for about a week. Understand that we weren't really graded on GUI though, so mine was just a basic WinForms one. The assignment we had was very similar, except it was for a bookstore and we were recording inventory of books instead of customers.

Edited by blind7125
  • Upvote 1

AnalAvenger    324

Since you're most likely looking at a database back end you'll need SQL, and a database management system (DBMS). I don't have any pros/cons for any particular DBMS, so might want to do some research, although off the top of my head I'd recommend MySQL. Pretty easy installation procedure on both Windows and Linux (though I feel like this can be said for almost any of them), and relatively easy to do configuration tasks etc. It should also have drivers for all major languages, which MySQL call "MySQL Connectors". These basically give you a nice and convenient way to execute SQL queries against your MySQL database directly from your code.

For your actual program/front end you'll probably want a GUI application (or at least that's what I gleamed from the context), so I'd say .NET framework is your best bet. For that any CLI language should work (https://en.wikipedia...f_CLI_languages). Personally I'd go with C#, since it was developed by Microsoft specifically for .NET, and the language is pretty easy to grasp. It should also be pretty easy to design a GUI using Visual Studio, and C#.

I think that this is how I'll attempt it. Could you point me in the direction of any C# learning materials? Since I have no actual programming experience as of yet, so I'm basically asking for a "codingpreschool.com" here.

Noodles777    40

I think that this is how I'll attempt it. Could you point me in the direction of any C# learning materials? Since I have no actual programming experience as of yet, so I'm basically asking for a "codingpreschool.com" here.

I'll be honest I've not looked at any C# materials myself so I don't know the full extent of what's out there. Doing a quick Google search I found this which looks ok. It should be able to give you the very basics at least. Some of the other people on the forum will undoubtedly have much better tutorials to recommend.

A nice SQL tutorial can be found here http://www.w3schools.com/sql/.

If you're gonna use MySQL (and hence the .NET connector) I'd also recommend looking at the .NET connector tutorial on the MySQL website. There is also more general documentation and install guides here.

Finally I'd recommend getting Visual Studio if you don't already have it https://www.visualstudio.com/. Just get the Community Edition. Whilst I'd generally advise against using an IDE for learning a language since I think it adds an unnecessary middle man it will make GUI development a breeze. It will also help you out a ton with your C# by providing suggestions, highlighting syntax errors, and providing a nice debugger. In general it will help you get running quite quickly.

Edited by Noodles777

asmcint    279

stick to the dirty language you call arabic

... The fuck? Okay, ignoring the fact that I live in Texas and am for the most part agnostic(I mean I'm pretty sure that something created the universe, but whether that something has any specific ideas about us or even has recognizable thought processes is another matter entirely), and the fact that that was just way off topic, that just was... the most bizarre non-sequitur. I just... lay off of /pol/ for a little while man, it's not doing you any good.

revan114    1186

... The fuck? Okay, ignoring the fact that I live in Texas and am for the most part agnostic(I mean I'm pretty sure that something created the universe, but whether that something has any specific ideas about us or even has recognizable thought processes is another matter entirely), and the fact that that was just way off topic, that just was... the most bizarre non-sequitur. I just... lay off of /pol/ for a little while man, it's not doing you any good.

1380697092809.jpg