Team Avolition
Niiyu

Pokemon Go

Niiyu    1233

Can we talk about Pokemon Go? Today was a profitable day, I caught a Snorlax and hatched a bunch of eggs and finally got up and spent at least two hours of my time walking around. I will say, I have gotten quite a bit of exercise with this game, I think it's done wonders for kids and I even saw some parents playing with their kids at the park. Of course, people have to be a downer and point out all the bad, but I think for once, the nostalgia hit us all in the good feels.

GAs61Aa.png

I'm only level 10 and I'm Team Valor. :3

Tell me what level you are and what team you are! Send a screenshot of your current Pokemon! Let's have fun and tell fun stories guys. C:

• Upvote 2

MasterFux    390

I don't see the appeal in Pokemon GO. IIRC the augmented reality implementation is bad, it uses the same design tricks as many other mainstream mobile games, and substitutes actually fleshed out gameplay and features for interaction with real world environments. While I do think this interaction is a great and compelling feature, it doesn't look like the rest of the game can keep up. To me, it looks like the main reasons this has taken off is: the real world interaction (which is a fairly recent feature in terms of actual use), appeal to the mass (non-gamer) market, Pokemon branding, and the huge high-interaction social platform it's had which has spawned a horde of posts and exclamations about it as well as some good old memes. I'm not saying it's a bad game, and it actually provides the framework for something that could be really great. However, as it is now, it doesn't seem good to me.

asmcint    279

Don't have compatible smartphone, doesn't work on tablets, if it did my tablet wouldn't be compatible either.

;_;

Remy    307

Just recently got it. My suburb is a fucking desert of activity and I have to trek into the city to score any decent game.

Valkyrie    1351

They should really add a battling system that lets you battle other people playing the game. That way, I'll be able to sit in the middle of town standing perfectly still while challenging anyone who crosses in front of me.

iPickedScout    682

I'm just waiting for the puppy-love phase to end, everyone to realize they don't care enough to walk around and catch pokemon, and for the streets to be empty like they normally are.

Nessosin    705

I don't see the appeal in Pokemon GO. IIRC the augmented reality implementation is bad, it uses the same design tricks as many other mainstream mobile games, and substitutes actually fleshed out gameplay and features for interaction with real world environments. While I do think this interaction is a great and compelling feature, it doesn't look like the rest of the game can keep up. To me, it looks like the main reasons this has taken off is: the real world interaction (which is a fairly recent feature in terms of actual use), appeal to the mass (non-gamer) market, Pokemon branding, and the huge high-interaction social platform it's had which has spawned a horde of posts and exclamations about it as well as some good old memes. I'm not saying it's a bad game, and it actually provides the framework for something that could be really great. However, as it is now, it doesn't seem good to me.

As far as actual gameplay yeah, it's pretty bad. But it made for a fun weekend to walk around and pretend there are pokemon in the streets and lawns.

I'm level 10 team valor. Got a pretty strong hypno because our downtown is on top of a drowzee nest.

• Upvote 1

greengreens1    138

Theres a gym at a dunkin donuts by my house and I laughed really hard at it. And theres only oddishs and weedles around where i live, with the occasional eevee that keeps eluding me.

Oh i did catch a psyduck and see a kangaskhan at work as well which was great.

Edited by greengreens1

Saltiren    73

They should really add a battling system that lets you battle other people playing the game. That way, I'll be able to sit in the middle of town standing perfectly still while challenging anyone who crosses in front of me.

If we are able to fight other PokemonGo players, then I'd love this game. Being able to catch Pokemon and fight your friends with them would be amazing. Without it, the game feels a bit pointless. It's still cool in a novelty sort of way, but not very fun.

honuchu    112

I live in a pretty populated area, so there's a lot to do around town in terms of PokeStops! My non-gaming friends got super into it and that's really what got me into the game; it's super nice being able to go out with them and them wanting to learn about Pokemon and stuff. I'm getting back into the swing of competitive Pokemon (VGC/Smogon) as well, and GO was a nice addition to how I feel about the franchise. There isn't much to the game but I'm mainly in it for the social aspect that's going on from the launch.

u1qAWyA.png

I just hit level 14, but my party's pretty much the same from this morning at level 11 aside from the 727 Rapidash. I picked Team Instinct not knowing just how terrible being the underdog would be, and am having a bit of trouble talking to people because of it. I was at a park in the evening and had two different groups walk away from me because they were Valor/Mystic. I did end up meeting one guy who has only been playing since Sunday and I helped him beat a gym. He got to put his Machamp up there and screenshotted it to show it to his friends. He was a grown man but was about as excited as the young kids in the park and it was really nice to see; hopefully he shows up there more often.

Currently holding onto a Lucky Egg and 9 Pidgeys that can be evolved until I catch enough Bulbasaur to evolve the one in the screenshot. I got lucky and hatched that one as is without any power ups. I have some friends out of state who are already 20+ and I feel really motivated to go outside and walk to catch up to them. I'm making pretty good pace this week and average six miles a day (up from zero) and I'm feeling pretty satisfied! Unfortunately I don't have IRL friends who are as invested, so going out with people that I know is pretty difficult. Fingers crossed the strangers later will be more accepting.

Lynx OGrady    405

I went out on a nice sunny day, it was bright, not a cloud in the sky and it was in the upper 90's for the temprature

Unfortunately, the only thing i caught was a Heat Stroke

I dont have PokeMon GO.........

KeroPearhart    385

PTGk0cb.jpg

There's so much stuff that I could post here. I don't have the game myself but half my friends are already hooked on it.

• Upvote 1

Phlyrox    1112

yea i agree the game sucks right now but I still got hooked into it.

There are no explanations for most things, i still don't know how the height and weight matter if at all. Bugs and crashes all the time, servers are down at least once a day for me. and even when its connected its really slow.

There was no explanation on how to battle at all, and the intros for the teams were misleading.

seems like the game is in beta / alpha still but i think it'll get better since its so popular (fingers crossed)

• Upvote 1

Maniakdude    100

My older brother stopped by last night, and apparently the town hall across from my living area, the post office across the parking lot, and the park across another street are all one of them Pokestops or whatever, with access to the town hall and park being available right from my kitchen. there were also a couple of pokemon in my place of employment, one of which was a Rattata near where we keep our soft drink glasses, and a Drowsee near the jukebox.

I hope to join the Pokemon Go thing when I get a smartphone near the start of August.

Edit: grammar is difficult, and one of the countless churches in my town is a gym, with a Vaporeon.

Edited by Maniakdude

greengreens1    138

So I live VERY close to Argonne National Lab (like i take the frontage road out turn left and boom there) and while driving past there I found that it is in fact, an electric gym. I really wanna know how many people just pull up to the entrance gate just to conquer that gym.

Krikilla    58

The only pokestops in my town are at the local library, and two of the churches... I got my mom into the game and she plays it on her way to work haha.

KeroPearhart    385

Snippet from my weekend: I'm sitting on a bench with 4 of my friends along Bronx Park, further up from where I live. It's 3 of them to my left, one to my right; and further down to his right, an older guy with his kid.

All of them are glued to Go. I'm the only person there without a smartphone. I'm just sitting there glancing over to either side, watching them all trying to catch the same Bellsprout.

Surreal shit.

I just hit level 11, and I'm on Team Mystic. I was wondering how you guys get such high CP Pokemon though, do you catch them like that or have you powered them up? The strongest I've caught is a 330 CP Drowzee, but I haven't powered any up so far because I read it's not worth it until higher levels.

Also is anybody else experiencing the bug that makes it show all Pokemon as being 3 paws away constantly? It's made hunting Pokemon fairly unplayable for me.

fuzzy    55

Came back to this forum just to post mine

tOMOxJM.png

• Upvote 1

Niiyu    1233

Came back to this forum just to post mine

tOMOxJM.png

Dat Dragonite tho.

Update, I haven't played in a few days since I've devoted myself to leaving the house as little as possible, but tomorrow I'm going a-hunting and my goal is a Magneton!

I'm also now lvl 12, with no new major additions to my team yet. Booooo.

I just hit level 11, and I'm on Team Mystic. I was wondering how you guys get such high CP Pokemon though, do you catch them like that or have you powered them up? The strongest I've caught is a 330 CP Drowzee, but I haven't powered any up so far because I read it's not worth it until higher levels.

Also is anybody else experiencing the bug that makes it show all Pokemon as being 3 paws away constantly? It's made hunting Pokemon fairly unplayable for me.

The highest level thing I found at level 9 was that Snorlax and that was pure luck. The CP for random pokemon just start rising into the 100-200's mostly but a 300 can be found around your level. Once you hit level 15+, you'll start seeing occasionally 400s for base evolution pokemon and that just doubles when they evolve. Of course, you can randomly find something in the 600s during a super rare spawn.