Team Avolition
Meowingtons

EU Referendum

Meowingtons    100

I think there are like 2 other Brits here besides me (lkgddr & puddleduck?), just curious on peoples thoughts here.

I actually have no clue what to vote.

asmcint    279

I don't really understand why Brits want to leave the EU tbh.

Saltiren    73

I don't really understand why Brits want to leave the EU tbh.

This. Is it because the euro (which the Brits don't use, right?) has shit value or something?

rakiru    2713

I'm making this a separate post as it's just personal opinions, and kind of a rant. Feel free to ignore it.

One major point I've seen from the Leave side is "We send the EU £350 million a week, let's fund our NHS instead". Other than the fact that that number is bullshit (that's about what we pay, but it's not like we're just burning the money - that money pays for stuff we use), the fact that the NHS is failing has nothing to do with the EU. If anything, the EU is more on the side of universal healthcare than the current UK government is. For those that don't know, the National Health Service is the UK's publicly funded, well, health service. It says "National", but there are actually separate branches for each country within the UK, NHS Scotland, NHS England, NHS Wales, and whatever the hell Northern Ireland have (sorry to any NI folk, you get even less attention than Wales). NHS England has been having major problems the last few years, largely due to the UK government repeatedly cutting their funding. Meanwhile, NHS Scotland has actually improved over recent years, with no change to their budget.

Small diversion: Scotland is a more left leaving country than England, with more emphasis on social programs. Meanwhile, the UK government is largely more right wing (althoguh still left of the US, you crazy fucks). This causes a lot of tension between Scotland and England in situations like this. Thank fuck we have our own NHS so the UK government can't fuck that up too easily. For a more visual representation of this, take a look at this map of poll results for the EU ref (we'll see how accurate it is tomorrow...) and this map of the previous UK election (scroll to the bottom for a full map).

Anyway, whatever the result ends up being, we're in for a complete and utter shitshow in the UK for the next few years, as the losing side will blame every possible problem on the winning side. I can see this ending relationships. Scotland especially will likely go fucking crazy if we end up leaving.

For what it's worth, the bookies are giving fairly good odds for remaining, and they're generally pretty good with estimating the results of these things. It's a massively complex issue though, and hard to gauge a general opinion, so we'll see.

In other news, Trump's presidential campaign is giving us more fuel to fuck with him (he's not exactly been a very popular man over here since the whole golf course land/windmill shit), like this beautiful scene.

Edit: formatting

Edited by rakiru
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Narka    614

If you ask me, the UK is better off leaving. They don't have enough in common with mainland Europe to try and pursue shared interests.

The EU places a lot of power in appointed positions. The EU is admitting volatile Eastern European countries that cannot be reasonably expected to pull their weight. The EU has already had a meltdown with Greece that *still* isn't over. The fact that the EU will severely punish Britain in their trade renegotiation if they leave is more than enough reason to leave; I don't know why you'd want to be part of an agreement that will throw a hissy fit if you try to go against them.

Edited by BeeJesus
  • Upvote 1

Sirenfal    4038

IT'S HAPPENING http://www.cnn.com/2...ndum-live-blog/

(CNN) The Leave campaign has won the UK's EU referendum -- making it the first country to vote to leave the Union.
  • Final tally released -- Leave: 17,410,742 beats Remain: 16,141,241
  • Stock markets tumble in Asia and investors are preparing for more falls elsewhere
  • Pound crashes to its lowest levels in 31 years
  • Leave.EU and UKIP leader Nigel Farage says result heralds a "new dawn"

greengreens1    138

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGPFyqBnOAg&feature=youtu.be

I believe that this is a great start for Britain as now they can call their own shots without an EU approval. They can control their own direction now without having to be pulled into other situations that would harm them. Having an increased investing power as a haven against a potential collapse is great benefit as well. Edited by greengreens1

zee    641

GEHAHEAGAHEGAEGAHEAHGAEHEAHAEHAHEGEAGHEAH

inb4:

1. new scottish referendum
  2. BRAND NEW NORTHERN IRELAND REFERENDUM
  3. uk literally collapses

Edited by zee

I voted to stay.

Regarding the £350 million a week figure rakiru mentioned that UKIP pulled out of their arses, Nigel Farage has said that was a "mistake":

(Sorry I'm on mobile so I can't embed the video right now.)

• Upvote 2

Meowingtons    100

Voted to stay too. Seems like the leave campaign was mostly xenophobics and the elderly (mixture of both). Oh well, RIP UK and RIP EU.

asmcint    279

I voted to stay.

Regarding the £350 million a week figure rakiru mentioned that UKIP pulled out of their arses, Nigel Farage has said that was a "mistake":

(Sorry I'm on mobile so I can't embed the video right now.)

That's one widely advertised "mistake". Sounds to me like their way of saying "HAHAHA WE LIED OUR ASSES OFF FUCK YOU!"

rakiru    2713

That's one widely advertised "mistake". Sounds to me like their way of saying "HAHAHA WE LIED OUR ASSES OFF FUCK YOU!"

It's more of a "It wasn't actually us that said it directly, but it was helping us so we stayed quiet until after the vote."

• Upvote 1

asmcint    279

It's more of a "It wasn't actually us that said it directly, but it was helping us so we stayed quiet until after the vote."

It was sure said by someone with a bunch of money and/or influence, because this is a thing.

4754CBF5-06EE-47DD-AE5A-73F462A299EA_mw1024_s_n.jpg

Who the hell paid for those bus ads?

Meowingtons    100

@Asmcint Many donators to the leave campaign. What Rakiru said above is 100% accurate.

• Upvote 1

asmcint    279

@Asmcint Many donators to the leave campaign. What Rakiru said above is 100% accurate.

Fair enough. Still a dick move, though I should really expect nothing less from hypocrites like Farage.

Narka    614

Voted to stay too. Seems like the leave campaign was mostly xenophobics and the elderly (mixture of both). Oh well, RIP UK and RIP EU.

I don't get this sentiment concerning older people voting. Many of them were the only people to have experienced Britain before and after the EU; to me it would seem that I would actually value their input a lot considering that they know things that we can't.

Edited by BeeJesus

Tomatoesalad    545

GEHAHEAGAHEGAEGAHEAHGAEHEAHAEHAHEGEAGHEAH

inb4:

1. new scottish referendum

2. BRAND NEW NORTHERN IRELAND REFERENDUM

3. uk literally collapses

Will they have to rebuild the border checkpoints in NI? That may stir up some unpleasant memories and agitate the "local rapscallions"

Remy    307

Post your face when the UK asks the United Nations to bail them out after their stocks eat shit straight into the ground.

W8a7fnm.jpg

majesty327    206

Well, I feel it breaks down to two core reasons.

1. Germany and Merkel. Germany pretty much dominates Europe in influence, industry, and economics. This has lead to a sort of passive, "soft empire", where everyone is more subject to German whims. Merkel's reckless policies are also a big part of this. Regardless of your opinion on the refugee crisis, accepting people with zero screening process is simply stupid. That and Merkel is a totalitarian cow who should be executed a la Mussolini.

2. Economics. The Euro is destablizing, and I wouldn't want to be on that boat when it sinks. Italy, Greece, and Spain are in dire straits, and the UK have been paying into the EU a considerable amount more than they've gained from trade treaties. I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but I think it was roughly a 3:1 ratio of paying in, vs payout.

I feel that it'll be better for Britain, but bad for Europe if the UK leaves.

asmcint    279

Post your face when the UK asks the United Nations to bail them out after their stocks eat shit straight into the ground.

W8a7fnm.jpg

I dunno about my face, but I can show you the faces of the UK's elected officials.

76ADNSm.gif

Narka    614

W8a7fnm.jpg

The thing about stocks is that if you're not a limp-wristed pussy who sells at the slightest uncertainty, they recover (and are often stronger).

I felt it in my stock holdings, but instead of going apeshit, I've simply held. Things are slowly returning to normal; I'm down one percent but expect to make it back up within the coming days.

The only way to crash your stocks is to actually believe the outright bullshit lie that your country is about to completely and entirely implode, sell your holdings, and encourage others to do the same.

The EU's behavior leading up to and following the Brexit are more than enough reason to leave. It isn't just "slightly flawed"; people of power have said that they are fundamentally opposed to democracy if it means an outcome they don't like.

PigHunter    301

The thing about stocks is that if you're not a limp-wristed pussy who sells at the slightest uncertainty, they recover (and are often stronger).

I felt it in my stock holdings, but instead of going apeshit, I've simply held. Things are slowly returning to normal; I'm down one percent but expect to make it back up within the coming days.

The only way to crash your stocks is to actually believe the outright bullshit lie that your country is about to completely and entirely implode, sell your holdings, and encourage others to do the same.

The EU's behavior leading up to and following the Brexit are more than enough reason to leave. It isn't just "slightly flawed"; people of power have said that they are fundamentally opposed to democracy if it means an outcome they don't like.

Brexit is the perfect time to buy stocks actually. I'm sure many people who know anything about investing agree. There's literally no reason to be scared about a permanent dip in prices. Even the most conservative economists say everything will recover within 5 years.

KeroPearhart    385

I honestly haven't been paying much attention to this at all. All I know is Iceland just eliminated England 2-1 from the UEFA Euros and Bob Ley of all people is using the word brexit.