Team Avolition
revan114

Am I right in not wanting to get a car yet?

revan114    1186

Ever since getting a job, my family has been telling me I should save up for a car, to which I have continuously responded the same:

"Meh. No thanks."

The reasons for me not wanting to get a car are:

1: Insurance

Insurance is expensive as fuck.

I work part time. N

ext week I work like 16 hours.

$8 an hour.

Yeah, I'm not really sure if I can afford insurance.

2: The price

And that's not even counting the price of the car itself. It'd take me like... 3 months or so for me to get a car that can actually RUN. Lots of fucking time.

So those are my 2 big reasons for not wanting a car. I keep having people tell me to try to avoid getting a car as long as I can, and I agree for the most part, because I don't see why I would NEED a car. I have no where to go. Just to work and back. It's killing my mother who has to drive me back and forth because of gas, but I plan on just paying her back for gas money when I get my first paycheck.

Of course, there are times when I wanna go to a store and she won't drive me, and I imagine I will get tired as fuck of having my mother drive me to and from work...

I dunno, right now I'm more concerned with getting job experience more than anything. I plan on getting a car sometime in the future when I have the means of doing it, like when I have a better job(God knows how long that will take), but still... My fucking friend has a car and my coworkers my age have a car. I dunno.

Can anyone with actual life experience give me a hand here?

KeroPearhart    385

Can anyone with actual life experience give me a hand here?

I would, except anything I could post would automatically be skewed by the fact I live surrounded by public transportation options.

You should at least get a full driver's license though, which I honestly haven't bothered doing yet.

• Upvote 1

Nessosin    705

Make sure you can afford it, but having your own car will boost your independence so much you should try to get at least something. You will love not having to rely on your mother to go everywhere.

The three months to save up will go by pretty fast.

asmcint    279

Personally I agree with your choice to not get a car. That said, depending on where you live and where all you have to go, something like a 150cc scooter would be both a lot cheaper and a huge boost to your independence and mobility.

PigHunter    301

It gives you an insane amount of freedom. It's really nice. If you don't really go out all that much don't bother with a car just yet. As a general rule of thumb you want to be saving at least half your paycheck if you have no living expenses. Having a decent chunk of change in th bank will help you a lot and future you will appreciate it. Then if you decide to get a car in the future you can, if you want to travel after high school you can, etc.

honuchu    112

It would be good to start saving up for a car. You don't have to get it right away, but it'd be good to begin thinking about it. Like others have expressed here, there's an independence factor that I've grown to be thankful for. Sure, it was hell to save up for but you end up with so many options. Insurance is going to be a bitch no matter what; if anything, just hold onto your license for a while and don't drive (I'm guessing you do have a license?). Figure out how much you want to set aside each month toward your car and go from there. If you feel you can wait longer than three months, I suggest saving a smaller amount every month and maybe set a date for when you'd be able to get it. Props to you though, for considering everything that's going on in both yours and your mother's situation.

Zongo    328

I don't have a car and I really don't need it for the foreseeable future, would like to get my license though.

Everywhere I go is within cycling range. Plus I get 'paid' to go to work by bike.

Yeah the weather can be a real stick in the mud, but overall (even for Belgium) it's not too bad. It's also decent exercise to not be a complete sack of mash potatos, just regular firm potatos bitch.

But yeah this country is tiny so my experience might not translate very well to the US, again depending on where exactly you are.

So in your case, if it's doable by bicycle then I would highly recommend you do that. Save yo cash.

Edited by Zongo

Niiyu    1234

I didn't get my license until I was 21(Which is also when I got my mom's car.), so I mean, it's normal. Those are perfectly good reasons to not want a car. But I mean, if your parents and family members are pushing to get a car, they might be willing to put you on THEIR insurance. So. Yeah.

Narka    614

Talk to your mother about the car possibly going on her insurance. PL/PD can actually be a matter of a few bucks a month if it's lumped in with other vehicles, which is what I'm doing right now.

Having the car is worth it.

Tomatoesalad    545

I was able to buy insurance, and fuel on $8/hour. Depends where you live, Texas is pretty cheap

revan114    1186

Talk to your mother about the car possibly going on her insurance. PL/PD can actually be a matter of a few bucks a month if it's lumped in with other vehicles, which is what I'm doing right now.

Having the car is worth it.

My mother has her car on my grandmothers insurance. My grandmother says she can't afford me on hers too. ;-;

Puddleduck    865

Save anyway, like you should be.

When you have enough for a car, make the choice then.

I'd personally avoid it until you can afford it comfortably, regardless if that is from savings or from your salary.

• Upvote 1

Sirenfal    4038

My mother has her car on my grandmothers insurance. My grandmother says she can't afford me on hers too. ;-;

Then it isn't worth the money with your job. You'd be getting the car, using your work to pay to use the car to get to work to pay to use the car to get to.. yeah. Not good. Save your money.

KeroPearhart    385

Then it isn't worth the money with your job. You'd be getting the car, using your work to pay to use the car to get to work to pay to use the car to get to.. yeah. Not good. Save your money.

He would still need a feasible alternative to getting to and from work at some point, though.

Valkyrie    1352

He would still need a feasible alternative to getting to and from work at some point, though.

lt-sport-red-xiv-2100.jpg

• Upvote 2

revan114    1186

lt-sport-red-xiv-2100.jpg

It is WAAAAAY too far away and dangerous to ride a bike to it though.

KeroPearhart    385

It is WAAAAAY too far away and dangerous to ride a bike to it though.

How far are you commuting on a daily basis precisely?