Team Avolition
revan114

Have you ever been in an abusive relationship with your operating system before?

revan114    1186

I have never been in a more abusive relationship with anything in all of my life.

I am so torn between quitting Windows and heading to Linux, and staying on Windows and bearing wtih the shit. I'd like to dualboot Windows and Linux, use Windows for gaming, Linux for work, but the problem is C#. Linux sucks with C# as far as I know, I tried it like 2 years ago though, so I'd have to look into it more, but shit.

I'd LOVE to have a more customizable OS, and more productive as well(as my games would not be on Linux)but I can't.

Is anyone else out there having this problem?

MasterFux    390

Not really. I'm a simple pleb who's generally been fine with my Windows. Both 7 and 8.1.

Repost    379

I have two windows installations on my machine at the moment, and they rely on each other, for the boot drive, and as a result I have to fiddle with the bios and unplug drives to get either to even boot. Too lazy to do anything about it... I lost my Linux drives data, so I don't even have that anymore.

asmcint    279

I used to be in an abusive relationship with the Windows 10 Technical Preview. But I got the cops involved in that one. :P

Kavemium    454

This is something really picky, but it meant a lot to me - I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1, loving the start menu and stuff (although I did miss the Metro screen since I had memorised the locations of the shortcuts). I managed to deal with it, however the worst part was with my dual monitors. There's a little 'snap' on the corner that I disabled in 8.1 (so the cursor moves freely between them), and I had no idea how to fix it. So I just downgraded before the month was over back to 8.1. :(

Noodles777    40

If you're not really bound to C# by anything other than preference you could always just replace it with a different language. You could also try running Windows VMs in Linux but I have no idea how well that works.

• Upvote 1

blind7125    1924

If you're not really bound to C# by anything other than preference you could always just replace it with a different language. You could also try running Windows VMs in Linux but I have no idea how well that works.

Very well.

OP. Use a VM, pass your GPU through, and enjoy 95% performance.

dejordzta    1688

I'm really just waiting on the day where Adobe products run fine on Linux via Wine. As soon as that happens, I'm pretty much gone burgers from windows. I'd only miss it for some of the games I'd occasionally play on Steam/Battlefront (I don't know if that has linux support??).

Valkyrie    1352

I have never been in a more abusive relationship with anything in all of my life.

I am so torn between quitting Windows and heading to Linux, and staying on Windows and bearing wtih the shit. I'd like to dualboot Windows and Linux, use Windows for gaming, Linux for work, but the problem is C#. Linux sucks with C# as far as I know, I tried it like 2 years ago though, so I'd have to look into it more, but shit.

I'd LOVE to have a more customizable OS, and more productive as well(as my games would not be on Linux)but I can't.

Is anyone else out there having this problem?

What issues are you having with Windows?

revan114    1186

Windows is customizable, you just suck.

What issues are you having with Windows?

i want black window background in windows 10.

windows 10 dont let me, unless i go downgrade to version before microsoft ruined uxthemepatcher, or i do some archaic ritual and hope it works.

i probably do just suck at it though.

Zongo    328

Windows 10 is fine for home usage as far as I'm concerned.

However at work it's a different story... If you're running a domain with windows based pcs, just stay at win7. Win10 is absolutely abysmal in our domain.

Just thinking about it after hours triggers muh PTSDong.

• Upvote 1

Valkyrie    1352

windows 10 dont let me, unless i go downgrade to version before microsoft ruined uxthemepatcher, or i do some archaic ritual and hope it works.

Just because windows isn't black doesn't mean you should switch operating systems over it you fucking racist cocknobbler.

Anyway, just wait for uxthemepatcher to update and you should be fine.

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Upvote 2

revan114    1186

Just because windows isn't black doesn't mean you should switch operating systems over it you fucking racist cocknobbler.

Anyway, just wait for uxthemepatcher to update and you should be fine.

Apparently, Microsoft is going to be doing some weird new updates that let you customize shit more in depth, and they already have done that to some degree as you can change the window border colors, but the full update will probably take a long ass time to roll out.

I REALLY hope UxThemePatcher updates soon so I don't have to do this Satanic ritual with the DLLs as I have tried to do with the current version of the patcher.

Narka    614

I have two windows installations on my machine at the moment, and they rely on each other, for the boot drive, and as a result I have to fiddle with the bios and unplug drives to get either to even boot. Too lazy to do anything about it... I lost my Linux drives data, so I don't even have that anymore.

Holy fuck, booting in to broken Windows installations makes me want to fucking kill myself.

With Linux, there are two possibilities:

1.) GRUB is missing an entry; reconfigure and you're good.

2.) GRUB is fucked; use Super GRUB Disk to boot in and reinstall. You're now good.

Any fuckups with anything involved with booting Windows usually just results in me reinstalling. All the fuckery and half-assed error messages aren't worth my fucking time. It's beyond me why I even continue to use this shitshow of an OS even when Linux fulfills all of my needs.

Edited by BeeJesus

revan114    1186

Holy fuck, booting in to broken Windows installations makes me want to fucking kill myself.

2.) GRUB is fucked; use Super GRUB Disk to boot in and reinstall. You're now good.

Any fuckups with anything involved with booting Windows usually just results in me reinstalling. All the fuckery and half-assed error messages aren't worth my fucking time. It's beyond me why I even continue to use this shitshow of an OS even when Linux fulfills all of my needs.

I like the ones where you don't get an error at all, just a flickering black screen.

Valkyrie    1352

refind > grub

PigHunter    301

I'm a sadist. In order to see what does what I use crouton to make a bunch of different Linux installs on my chomebook and then start deleting things to see what happens.

revan114    1186

I'm a sadist. In order to see what does what I use crouton to make a bunch of different Linux installs on my chomebook and then start deleting things to see what happens.

I'm honestly really wanting to find a ("safe") way to break my Windows/PC again so I can try to repair it, if nothing else but to sharpen my repair skills up or learn some more repair skills. I actually had a weird bit of fun when I was repairing my Windows 10 after breaking it, and when I had to fix the GRUB menu. I got a very nice rush when I could boot into Windows successfully again. It was nice.

I could also play this video while doing the repairs.

Edited by revan114

PigHunter    301

crouton is a great way to do that actually. It's nice being able to run an operating system in a shell. Plus if something goes horribly wrong it takes about thirty seconds to delete a croot and about 5 minutes to make another one. If you have an old laptop I encourage you to put ChromeOS on it just to fuck around with it. ChromeOS is fun to fuck with.

Midori    131

What do you mean by ruined uxthemepatcher?

revan114    1186

What do you mean by ruined uxthemepatcher?

They changed the DLLs it patches so it's more difficult to patch them to work for third party themes in the new update, and the only way the people working on UxThemePatcher have found to get around it was to just take the older DLLs that weren't patched and replace the new ones with them, which is obviously retarded and can very easily backfire as it did for me about 5 times when I tried.