Team Avolition
TSLsmokey

Toontown Rewritten

TSLsmokey    12

So back in September 2013 the last official Toontown server shut down and the game ceased to exist. For those of you who don't know, Toontown was an MMORPG created by Disney with arguably a very unique concept. You created your own Toon to face off against the forces of the Cogs, literal representations of the worst things in corporations. You had numerous races and colors to choose from along with different clothing designs that you could start with and purchase through the game.

The cogs themselves came in 4 kinds: Lawbot, Sellbot, Cashbot, and Bossbot with different kinds of each bot existing. Their attacks would serve to make your toon sad and if your Laff meter hit 0 you got sent back to a playground to recover. So... how did you defeat these mechanic menaces? Simple... Gags. No I'm not making this up you used classic pranks or cartoonish slapstick devices to deal damage and defeat the cogs. Attacks would include the Banana Cream Pie, Seltzer bottle, Rake in the face, Anvil to the head and even a Foghorn. There's a lot more gags than that but I never unlocked them all. There were 7 gag tracks total but you could only get 6 on one Toon. They are Throw, Squirt, Drop, Toon-up(aka heal), Lure, Trap, and Sound.

You had to purchase each gag through the game's shops and use the in-game currency of... jellybeans. Now before you get the wrong idea, you could not purchase jellybeans with real cash. Instead you earned them through different things. Completing Toontasks, selling fish(yep they had fishing), minigames at parties, or doing minigames within the playgrounds. The jellybeans were used for so many different things within the game. Gardening(used as seeds for flowers), fishing(bait), food for the Doodles(in-game pets), and even money.

Now apart from exploring the world that Disney had created there were other things to do within Toontown. They had a Racing track sequestered nearby the starting area of Toontown Central and a Mini-golf course nearby Donald's docks(think that's what it's called. it's been so long I don't remember). They also had HQs of the different Cog HQs hidden around the world. I believe Sellbot was nearby Daisy Garden. Cashbot was by Donald's Dreamland. Bossbot was nearby the Mini-golf courses. and Lawbot was nearby the ice area(once again can't remember the name). Cogs could also take over different buildings on the varying streets and create a Cog Building. There were a set number of floors from 1-5 and you could take up to 4 toons per building. The higher the floors, the more a multiplier would stack and the more gag points you would gain upon finishing the building.

Oh that's right I nearly forgot. There was a gag leveling system where if you used gags a certain amount of times in battle you could get a higher ranked one. However if you tried to use a highlevel gag on a lowlevel cog you wouldn't gain any points. Obviously the higher the rank the more damage dealt/higher heal/higher chance of luring the cog in. Also you had a lower max amount for higher level gags you could carry. Mind you there is a max limit on how many gags you can carry but you can increase that limit by doing Toontasks.

The last thing I'm covering here is the Cog HQs. You had to assemble a disguise to enter the main building of each one and the disguise pieces were gained by doing one of 2 things: beating the sidearea in the HQ(have to do this multiple times for multiple pieces) or doing toontasks. Upon entering the Main building you can assemble a team of up to 8 toons and you best get the max amount. The bosses for each branch are no pushovers and harbor some of the more unique fights that I've seen in MMO games. Each boss opens up with a couple waves of cogs and then it kicks into a new area as each boss splits off from the norm to go for something different. They'll attack your toon on an open environment and your job is to figure out how you can beat them. The Sellbot boss has to be forced back to the edge of his building until he falls off. you hit him on his body or when his front slot is open to knock him back. The issue is he won't take it lying down and will assault you as much as possible through the use of chucking gears at your head or trying to flatten you. your teammates can heal you but it's a lowlevel heal that takes awhile to actually be of use.

So... why do I bring this up? Why bring up a kiddy game that's longdead? Because a few kindly gents have taken it upon themselves to recreate the entirety of the game and rumor has it that the game will soon be out of closed beta. The folks over at Toontownrewritten are even gearing up for the release to the public. The one thing that I'm looking at here is what they claim they'll be doing: no membership, no donations needed, they won't accept payment of any kind. They are making it completely free... Will this fly or will it flop? Me I'm hoping it'll fly.

So.... thoughts? comments? If you guys actually played toontown before it went down what are your thoughts on this?(and if i could've done a better job lemme know. I know I missed some things but I can get a wee bit impatient while writing.) More information about this project that's up to date can be found here

Edited by TSLsmokey

revan114    1186

Won't Disney kind of get pissed off about this though?

TSLsmokey    12

Won't Disney kind of get pissed off about this though?

That's the question... Their hope is that because they aren't even making a cent out of this and are paying for this out of their own pocket, Disney will let it go through. Only time will tell at this point. But hopefully we can get it and Disney won't file a Cease and Desist this far along in development.

dylygs    191

Fucking Toontown. That was my introduction to games, forums, and YouTube all in one. It was a great game to show kids how MMOs work, and arguably pretty good on its own, if it weren't filled with kids.

I heard about this project a few months ago. I think Disney would have stopped them already if they cared, but since no money is being made, I think it will be a non-issue. I'm glad it's going well.

TheColonel    608

I remember playing Toontown when it first came out, such a great game. I signed up for one of the closed beta accounts but there is practically a month long waiting list just to schedule play-time. I really hope the Mouse House doesn't take this project down, but if the rewritten game is using copyrighted Disney characters, they will show no mercy. I really hope this project will survive, but I have my doubts...

clyde1500    101

I used to play this a lot in Elementary school a lot. But I never did the payed subscription for it so when I hit the level cap I just stopped playing because I couldn't really go anywhere and it just got repetitive. But I might start playing this because it was a lot of fun.

TSLsmokey    12

So I finally got into the game for about 2 hours and 20 minutes and what did I think? Well there are still some things to be ironed out. Couple of graphical glitches and server issues that'll need to be fixed before they can fully launch it... Oh and I recorded the entirety of it. There's voice for a bit of it but once it gave my brother the boot I wound up turning off voice.

https://www.dropbox....5_140030598.mp4

Bit of good news as to the development time of TTR. The slot limits are doubled and playtimes are doubled as well. Yeah they need to fix the lag issues that arose from so many people being on now buuuuut that should've been obvious from the fact that they only did this recently and had only a basic idea of what would happen.

Now onto a bit of a touchy subject. A few people on TTR fan forums did some looking into Toontown Infinite's launcher aaaaand well they found some sketchy stuff. Including TTR's logo and an RAT. I don't have proof of this as I never downloaded nor installed TTI's launcher but given my past record and the fact that I just recently had to clean out a very annoying program(had several hooks and impeded my ability to do things on my computer) I don't wish to have that happen again.

Edited by TSLsmokey

Valkyrie    1352

I played the fuck out of this game when I was a kid. I'd love to revisit it.

TSLsmokey    12

Ok screw good news, i've got GREAT news. There's finally been a launch date announced for full open beta where everyone can join in for fun. September 19th is the date where anyone and everyone can join. no paying at all and fun for everyone!

Lildirt    34

Oh my god, I used to burn so many hours on that game.

Nostalgia attack.

Also, aren't they doing the same thing with Pirates of the Carribbean Online?

TSLsmokey    12

So... TTR was released to open beta last friday and I've gotten around to trying it out now.

Things that changed:

You can now find a ton more toons around if you're looking for groups for buildings and whatnot.

Admittedly there's still freezing issues that they resolved before releasing open beta but started up again due to the massive flood of toons that came online. They are constantly working on this and have made great strides in fixing it entirely(the amount of freezes now are vastly lower than when they started the open beta)

Houses and Mail have been added in so you can now begin upgrading not only your bank, but your fishing rod and clothing limits. Hopefully this means gardening will make a comeback.

Toonfest was started on the friday of the release and was scheduled to end last sunday but due to the issues it now ends this coming saturday. There's a ton more bugfixes on the actual page but these were things that I noticed upon entering the game.

So if you're looking for a change from the normal MMO I suggest trying this out. Probably will be the best free one that you've played.

msd8115    5

Oh shit, I used to love this game when I was 5. I'm really excited and glad that it might be coming back.

TSLsmokey    12

Oh shit, I used to love this game when I was 5. I'm really excited and glad that it might be coming back.

Not just a 'might'. It is back. it's still being worked on but it's now in full open beta. And it's completely free.

bru    33

I might have to check this out. I'm a fan of fan-rewrites/remakes, and ToonTown consumed a couple summers when I was younger.

I remember trying to tell people to say 'Howdy' to me when I would say it to them, since for some reason it would turn you white or something in a certain area. Since the set words you could say were limited, it would be like:

Me: Howdy!

Other Person: Hi!

Me: No!

Other Person: Hello!

Other Person: Howdy!

boom now you're fucking white

TSLsmokey    12

This one is actually pretty faithful to the original and they're just beginning to expand on it. You can check out all the tweaks they've made to it on their main site.

limedone    0

I remember playing it, this was my first and favorite MMO ever.

I remember during my final days playing toontown (around late 2012-mid 2013) I got bored and started messing around with a script kiddie client, pretty funny

Might try making some sort of spoofing client for this.