Team Avolition
Tomatoesalad

Shower Thoughts

eonrulz    1930

I was actually talking with ReThink about this. At some point our knowledge of how the universe was created falls flat, because no matter what we are going to have to keep looking for an origin (maybe this is just my more than negligible understanding of theoretical physics).

If you mean that we're looking for a physical origin, i.e. the very centre of the universe, then its impossible. Its like if you're driving down a highway - cars going in the same direction as you seem to be moving very slowly, whilst cars going in the other direction look like they're going very fast. Galaxies moving away from the centre of the universe slower than us appear to be moving away from us in one direction, while galaxies moving faster than us look like they're moving in the other direction - in other words, everything seems to be moving away from us, so, it looks like we're the centre of the universe! In fact, every point in the universe appears to be the centre of the universe, if you're standing there! So we cannot find a physical centre, or origin.

However, what we can do is try to replicate conditions similar to the early universe, and use that to investigate what the origin of the universe might have looked like - and that's what both deep-space astronomy (i.e. cosmic microwave background studies) and particle colliders like the LHC are trying to do. As well as a billion theorists, who use hugely complicated models and hugely expensive supercomputers to look back even further than we can reach with experimental setups.

Following a train of logic and assuming that everything just didn't suddenly appear or was just inherently there, everything had to come from somewhere or something and the previous things had to come from another somewhere and something, so on and so forth. All the atoms in the universe, that ultra condensed bit of matter that was what we have now, we can keep tracing it back but we will never find an exact origin because at some point laws that govern the universe made stuff happen (again really unspecific, eon kill me with science if you have to I take no offense)

Yeah, you're right - at some point, something happened that took the 'universe' from the equilibrium it was in, and disrupted it enough to shift its equilibrium condition, causing it to cool and generally turn into the universe we know today. What that event was, we don't know. That isn't to say we won't ever know, but the answer cannot be found with today's technology and theories. We can get damn close, though - the LHC replicates conditions approximately a billionth of a second after the 'Big Bang', or whatever other universe-creating incident occurred.

Here's some food for thought though - given that anti-matter is a thing, and that it must have existed at some point, why is it only matter that we see in the universe? Where has all the anti-matter gone? :)

• Upvote 1

dylygs    191

If you mean that we're looking for a physical origin, i.e. the very centre of the universe, then its impossible. Its like if you're driving down a highway - cars going in the same direction as you seem to be moving very slowly, whilst cars going in the other direction look like they're going very fast. Galaxies moving away from the centre of the universe slower than us appear to be moving away from us in one direction, while galaxies moving faster than us look like they're moving in the other direction - in other words, everything seems to be moving away from us, so, it looks like we're the centre of the universe! In fact, every point in the universe appears to be the centre of the universe, if you're standing there! So we cannot find a physical centre, or origin.

To steal a very common analogy, it's like raisins in bread that's baking in an oven. As the bread expands, if you look at a raisin individually, it will look like every other raisin is moving away from it, but if you look at the raisins as a whole it's clear that they're all moving away from each other.

Yeah, you're right - at some point, something happened that took the 'universe' from the equilibrium it was in, and disrupted it enough to shift its equilibrium condition, causing it to cool and generally turn into the universe we know today. What that event was, we don't know. That isn't to say we won't ever know, but the answer cannot be found with today's technology and theories. We can get damn close, though - the LHC replicates conditions approximately a billionth of a second after the 'Big Bang', or whatever other universe-creating incident occurred.

Why would there have to be a cause? As I said before, we don't really know the conditions of existence (or if existence was really even a thing) before the universe began, so how do we know that cause and effect still applied?

Here's some food for thought though - given that anti-matter is a thing, and that it must have existed at some point, why is it only matter that we see in the universe? Where has all the anti-matter gone? :)

One hypothesis I've heard is that it was present in the early universe, but there was significantly less of it than normal matter, so it was all annihilated, leaving only normal matter behind. Maybe true, maybe not, but interesting.

Why the hell do people, myself included, deeply analyze life and religion in the showers? Is it because we have spare time, is it because we have nothing on our mind? Is it because all of us easily get distracted?

I think it's likely because there aren't really any distractions/things to focus on, so our mind wanders to its reserve problems/ideas that it's stored for later thought.

Dman0165    13

Why does shampoo hurt so bad when it gets in your wiener hole?

Seriously some of the worst pain I have ever experienced.

Remy    307

"Why is 'I Just Can't Get Enough' playing in my head...?

...Oh well."

Edited by Remy

Puddleduck    864

Why does shampoo hurt so bad when it gets in your wiener hole?

Seriously some of the worst pain I have ever experienced.

How the fuck did you get shampoo in there?

You are supposed to put it on the OTHER head.

asmcint    279

How the fuck did you get shampoo in there?

You are supposed to put it on the OTHER head.

Probably using it as lube.