Team Avolition
ReThink

Super Smash Bros: Brawl

ReThink    202

So I was bored, and decided to play a game of smash bros, because I always loved that game. I realized there were some characters I simply couldn't play as, and wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

What are your three favorite characters to play as, and/or the three characters you hated using/playing against?

Also include any funny stories/photos

Top 3 for me:

1.Snake (cuz explosives and detpacks)

2. Wolf

3. Samus

Worst 3:

1.King dedede

2. Icicle climbers

3. Jigglypuff

Synnnical    108

1) I am a beast Zelda/Shiek

2) Ike

3) Mr Game and Watch

1)Sonic

2)Bowser

3)Link

Phlyrox    1112

jiggly puff is decent i think. ice climbers are pretty strong once you get used to them. dedede i think is like below decent.

the most fun for me is lucas. but best is probably rob or ganondorf. pit, pikachu, and kirby are really easy to play at first. samus and toon link are fun too. regular link is the worst imo. too slow and doesnt do enough dmg to make up for it. (compared to others at least)

browser is fun just because you get to suicide with other people.

Edited by Phlyrox

Flash    488

1. Ganondorf because of dat power move

2. Ike

3. Ness

1. R.O.B.

2. Pokemon Trainer

3. Sonic

Sexyperson99    358

Top 3:

1. Lucas

I have a fuckload of experience with him and I used to fuck around with people who would play competitively, they said he was my best.

2. Falco

3. Toon Link or Ike

Worst 3:

Too be really modest, I'm not really bad with anyone, they just a little getting used to.

I'll play anyone online, it'd be a fun challenge. Give me a few days to relearn the mechanics because I'm used the SSB64.

Edit: Hype for Apex 2015 cause I'm going to that for SSB64.

Edited by Sexyperson99

dylygs    191

Top 3:

1. Marth FTW

2. Kirby

3. Falco... maybe... I can't remember. I haven't played in awhile. Maybe it was Sanic.

Worst 3:

1. Olimar. Could never get the hang of the whole Pikmin throwing thing.

2. Ice Climbers. Controlling one character is hard enough.

3. No one in particular after that. I pretty much never played as any of the stock Nintendo characters, so I imagine I was pretty shit at those.

Man... I remember going to my friends' house to play SSB:M on their Gamecube. I didn't have a system, so I would love going over there and just playing for a couple of hours. Shit was cash. For some reason, SSB:B just never got the same feel for me.

Edited by dylygs

clyde1500    101

Best 3:

Toon Link

Pikachu

Roy?

Worst 3:

Olimar

Diddy Kong

Yoshi

I haven't played Brawl really since I discovered Project M. I know it's a Brawl mod, but it's so much different that I'm not considering it Brawl. I mainly choose random and I don't main anyone so choosing a Top 3 doesn't really work for me. Though I do love playing as Donkey Kong cause if you're against people who don't know what they're doing in the game you can just run off the edge with them. I don't really care if I lose. It's just funny for me.

Narka    614

Olimar is my one and only. He's very good with enough of a challenge involved that you actually stay involved in the game instead of nodding off because it's so fucking easy (IE not Pit).

wx1kKfb.jpg

Edited by BeeJesus

SZero    17

Project M FTW

Roy and Marth are my favorite.

Brawl- is also hilarious. Anyone and everyone is fun to play.

Vanilla Brawl is built to be slow and friendly to new players. Nintendo wasn't happy with the competitive direction Melee took, and as a result camping is crazy powerful. If you're trying to go offensive, it's incredibly difficult to do anything. I just don't enjoy playing it.

DirtyPete    10

I dont think ive ever really been all that skilled, so i never really noticed the differences between melee and brawl, though i guess brawl does feel a little slower, and i tend to be able to hold my own better in brawl.

i dont think i really have a top three, there are just a lot of characters i like to play as. I use kirby and pikachu (hurr durr what a noob) a lot, and I like to use peach a lot too. i also use link/toon link, wario, luigi, game and watch, ice climbers, jigglypuff, and, occasionally, dedede (even tho he sucks.) Rarely, ill play as ganon or zelda/sheik

im not great with rob or olimar, tho to be honest im not great to begin with.

i absolutely hate playing against fox characters (especially if final smash is on) and pit.

donkey kong is always good for laughs/suicide take down. if your opponent sucks yoshi is great for some cheap kills.

Also, i use the sideways wiimote. i like the simple layout, and gamecube controllers always seem to have at least one button that sticks. plus i like the shocked expression on some peoples face ( which quickly disappears when they see i suck)

my friend code is 3741-0396-7833 if anyone wanted to play online.

asmcint    279

Lucas(I mostly just spam PK Fire and PSI Magnetism. Still manage to do well.)

Ike(Most people use him as a defensive character[because you really need to time your attacks right to hit anything], but I tend to do better with him aggressively.)

Marth(Dat side special. Generally just a good character for me.)

Olimar(I can't recover worth a damn with him... friggin' Pikmin.)

Diddy Kong(Just... just no.)

Zero Suit Samus(She may be hot, but she's a pretty tough character to use a lot of times.)

Edited by asmcint

Enigma    366

The only time I ever get to play Smash is going to my very drifted, former distant friend's house every summer and winter in Latvia, I'd say my favourite to play then was the Pokemon Trainer, but we only played the story mode (Brawl).

I wanna get into competitive for this new installment, where do I start?

• Upvote 1

Sexyperson99    358

The only time I ever get to play Smash is going to my very drifted, former distant friend's house every summer and winter in Latvia, I'd say my favourite to play then was the Pokemon Trainer, but we only played the story mode (Brawl).

I wanna get into competitive for this new installment, where do I start?

The way I got good at SSB64 was to practice a shit load and play a lot. I have competitions and bets between my brothers for games. A good thing to do is to memorize how long each of your attacks take. You should know this because then you can make the split second decision on what to do. The other good thing to do is to learn EVERY character. Brawl is a huge fucking game, but you need to know all the characters. Once you learn a character's weakness (I.E. shitty up-a attack which is slow) you'd know to force them to use it. It's gonna suck because of the amount of people, but you'll learn. The other thing is you'll need to learn zones. Figure out ideal placements for mass combos where you can completely fuck up your opponent.

I'll play some online with you if you need someone to practice with. I have no school next week for vacation so I can fuck around pretty much any time of day. I main Lucas.

I'll also be willing to make some bets and play anyone online.

• Upvote 1

dylygs    191

The way I got good at SSB64 was to practice a shit load and play a lot. I have competitions and bets between my brothers for games. A good thing to do is to memorize how long each of your attacks take. You should know this because then you can make the split second decision on what to do. The other good thing to do is to learn EVERY character. Brawl is a huge fucking game, but you need to know all the characters. Once you learn a character's weakness (I.E. shitty up-a attack which is slow) you'd know to force them to use it. It's gonna suck because of the amount of people, but you'll learn. The other thing is you'll need to learn zones. Figure out ideal placements for mass combos where you can completely fuck up your opponent.

I should play more SSBX. It's really fun, and I think it would be cool to play competitively.a bit. Thanks for the info.

One other recommendation I have for people is reading about military/battle strategy. I read The Art of War last year, and was able to apply it to sparring, causing a significant increase in power on my side.

• Upvote 1

Sexyperson99    358

I should play more SSBX. It's really fun, and I think it would be cool to play competitively.a bit. Thanks for the info.

One other recommendation I have for people is reading about military/battle strategy. I read The Art of War last year, and was able to apply it to sparring, causing a significant increase in power on my side.

Ah yes, that would indeed apply to this game. The split second timing and maximizing your effectiveness of the move is crucial to any game. I'll defenitely read it, thanks for the recommendation. I'm hoping to go to Apex 2015 next year and get in the top 10. I'd be amazed, but I feel like I'm getting to be insane. Last year in May I attended a tournament for SSB64 and placed fourth. I wasn't really as practiced as I am now, my brother got in second because he decided to play DK instead of Kirby the final match. I am now much better than him so I feel like there's a possibly of myself getting a decent rank.

If I were to rate my characters:

Ness is honestly so fucking good I cannot stress it enough. - N64

I gotta go with Falco for Melee, I don't play it often though - Melee

Lucas is my main and I used to dabble with competitive players who said my Lucas was insane for my age (I was 11 at the time) - Brawl

Phlyrox    1112

Wtf how did art of war help you? Please give me the advice from the book that helped you play brawl better.

dylygs    191

Wtf how did art of war help you? Please give me the advice from the book that helped you play brawl better.

I didn't say it helped me with Brawl, I said it helped me with sparring. However, I would probably help with Brawl as well.

The main principles of the text talk about things like terrain, misdirection, finding/exploiting weaknesses, etc. Those things are very helpful in basically any fighting situation.

TSLsmokey    12

Normally on vanilla brawl i will go with ike or pikachu, though i have been working with random characters to improve my all-around capabilities... on brawl - however... well those who fall prey to the thinking that "ganon sucks" will fall victim to the incredibly overpowered warlock punch. on brawl - i will also go with ROB(inconvenient lasers!), Ike(brute force and charge counter), pikachu(just to dick around), zelda(ye cannot get close!), snake(good at extreme range), dedede(earthquake hammah!), and link(hey looky he can use elemental effects now). Seriously brawl - is fun to use. I much prefer it over Project M but that's just me, i've seen others who are extremely good at project M.