Team Avolition
rakiru

How to use the reputation system

ajvpot    204

rakiru, Thank you for posting this amazing content! I am so happy that you are helping the users to understand how to use the reputation system correctly. I wish you luck in all of your future endeavors!

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 39

rakiru    2713

Edit: Of course, if you disagree with anything here, feel free to say so, and if an admin considers anything here wrong or has any other suggestions, I will edit this to make note of them.

Edit: ajvpot is a faggot and messed up my merge. Also, down-repped for not even reading and just posting something stupid. Although, that brings up something I forget to mention: retaliation down-reps - don't do it. It's petty and serves no purpose other than giving you an outlet for your spite.

Edited by rakiru
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

rakiru    2713

Screenshot-2013-08-01_06.07.05.png

Nice to know you've read my post Zirix. :P

GIRAFFE

Perfectly articulated. Nice work.

Pinned.

Why thank you. Glad it's actually of use.

AnalAvenger    324

Also, don't get hung up on the occasional down-rep. You can't be 100% perfect, and the odd person will down-rep you simply because they don't agree with what you said or because they don't like you. As for your overall rep, while you can consider this an average rating of your posts, it doesn't really mean anything, especially if you started off on bad terms and since rectified your posting habits. It's something to keep in mind, but not something you should care about too much.

When I first joined, I was bothered by negative rep, and I eventually went full faggot and went so low I pretended "not to care".

I'm proud to say, while I still think rep is important, I don't give half the number of shits I did before.

Anyway, quality post. This should help some new members who want to become active.

• Upvote 2

Valkyrie    1352

Downvoted for faggot.

Right back at ya.

OT: Extremely well-written. Why hasn't he been re-pants'd yet?

• Downvote 1

Phlyrox    1112

+1 for format

amidoingitrite

no but seriously, well said. and to add my thoughts, I also upvote when i like something that a user has done. the latest example being krysk pinning this thread.

Also I sometimes, /sometimes/, upvote to counter a post which i believe has been unnecessarily down repped. for example, if rakiru's op wasn't +1 worthy and then ajv did what he has done, i'd up vote it just to get it back to 0. what are your thoughts on this counter-ing?

and lastly, I cut new users some slack because they're nubs. or rather I give people who have been here for a longer time a hard time. Though i do try to let them know why they would get -repped, [actually, I explain the -1 every time (or most) unless obvious]

Why hasn't he been re-pants'd yet?

you mean global mod pants? i have no idea Edited by Phlyrox

Valkyrie    1352

you mean global mod pants? i have no idea

He used to be fancy pants, but he was demoted for reputation abuse (I think).

Syphist    1415

This is something that was well needed, hopefully this will get people to not use the reputation system in a poor way. (I end up upvoting quite a few posts that I feel don't deserve downvotes)

He already has moderator pants. Wearing two pairs of pants is just silly, and plus he won't have to look all #yoloswag for wearing purple pants.

Valkyrie    1352

He already has moderator pants. Wearing two pairs of pants is just silly, and plus he won't have to look all #yoloswag for wearing purple pants.

More pants is better than one.

Syphist    1415

I always thought it was to keep it so people only had 1 tag under their avatar. It got removed when all the other admins that are apart of the team and stuff got their other tags removed.

rakiru    2713

I occasionally counter-rep bad down-reps too.

Also, I've lost Fancy Pants several times now, mostly because having so many tags is silly (I had Contributor and Beta Tester too). It's usually one of the times Krysk fucks with me, such as that last time when he made my avatar a furry image and made my nick xXrakiruXx or something.

• Upvote 1

Keluandrie    599

I occasionally counter-rep bad down-reps too.

Also, I've lost Fancy Pants several times now, mostly because having so many tags is silly (I had Contributor and Beta Tester too). It's usually one of the times Krysk fucks with me, such as that last time when he made my avatar a furry image and made my nick xXrakiruXx or something.

I think you don't have it now because you were determined toget the most badges ever, what with the fancy pants, contributor, beta tester, moderator, etc. and then he took them away.

Edited by Keluandrie

Dustsucker    335

Good job, this was needed.

Would I up-rep this if someone else posted it?

This is a very honest way to think about it. However, some things normally regarded as shitposting can be tolerable or even funny when written by someone with a history of making good posts. Also members with badges generally have a history for making quality posts (or they wouldn't have badges) and are more recognizable, which gives them more of an advantage in this.

On a side note: when looking at someones rep, I generally compare the number of posts to the rep count. This is slightly imbalanced for people that frequent the forum games section, seeing how those posts don't add to the total, but they can still be up-repped.

• Upvote 1

rakiru    2713

This is a very honest way to think about it. However, some things normally regarded as shitposting can be tolerable or even funny when written by someone with a history of making good posts. Also members with badges generally have a history for making quality posts (or they wouldn't have badges) and are more recognizable, which gives them more of an advantage in this.

On a side note: when looking at someones rep, I generally compare the number of posts to the rep count. This is slightly imbalanced for people that frequent the forum games section, seeing how those posts don't add to the total, but they can still be up-repped.

This is a good point, but it usually still doesn't deserve an up-rep. Plus:

ITS%20STILL%20SHITPOSTING%20EVEN%20IF%20YOURE%20BEING%20IRONIC.png

Dustsucker    335

This is a good point, but it usually still doesn't deserve an up-rep.

Well I meant it regarding downvotes too. Some people are funny/interesting because their posts are on the border of shitposting.

Flash    488

It's nice to see a complete summary of what the reputation system should be. I think it might be a good idea to put this in the rules or make it required forum reading so that new members can better understand the magic number beneath their name. You are very smart in how you give out reputation thank you for sharing this with the rest of us.