Team Avolition
eonrulz

Strainalyzer [DICS]

Kira    10

This is the most beautiful program I have ever seen and now I want to kiss you.

eonrulz    1930

funny-gifs-toilet-foode.gif

Whilst in theory that would be a good example, I'm not convinced the pattern of cheerios is random enough to give a good result, and the blurring at the edges will probably reduce the accuracy too.

Also, lol

• Upvote 2

Narka    614

Nice.

No more fuckhead tag?

IT HURTS TO LIVE.

• Upvote 2

Church    1234

but im confussed, hw do i gt this to hck minecraft? also cn i join avo?

(in case you're fucking dumb, this is a joke.)

Phlyrox    1112

I'm actually about to start learning image recognition. Maybe i can ask you for help when i need it. It's going to be in c so maybe just the basic concepts.

_zee_    87

>Java

Yano, go away.

Edited by _zee_
  • Downvote 1

KeroPearhart    385

This was a very interesting read.

Although now I'm curious about how fast that kind of memory leaking could crash my laptop.

eonrulz    1930

This was a very interesting read.

Although now I'm curious about how fast that kind of memory leaking could crash my laptop.

Pretty fast. On our 24Gb RAM computers, it jumped up to a gigabyte in around 20 seconds, analysing 2500x2000 pixel .tiff images. 2 gigabytes took about 40 seconds, 4Gb around 3 minutes, and it reached a max of 9Gb (a limit we imposed) at around 9 minutes, then crashed. The leak does slow down, but that's only because garbage collection starts working in overtime trying to cope with it - the trade-off for stronger GC is that the analysis itself takes longer, too, as processor power is used up by the GC instead of going towards actually analysing the images. I can imagine that on less powerful computers, the time taken for it to reach the memory limit is a lot less, as there is obviously less RAM - although perhaps, if the processor is less powerful too, the analysis itself takes longer and thus the overall time is about the same? Though fewer images would be analysed in that time frame. Either way, you're losing out. As I said: its best to only analyse one pair of images at a time, and try to use sensible interrogation windows and regions of interest.

Kavemium    454

Pretty fast. On our 24Gb RAM computers, it jumped up to a gigabyte in around 20 seconds, analysing 2500x2000 pixel .tiff images. 2 gigabytes took about 40 seconds, 4Gb around 3 minutes, and it reached a max of 9Gb (a limit we imposed) at around 9 minutes, then crashed. The leak does slow down, but that's only because garbage collection starts working in overtime trying to cope with it - the trade-off for stronger GC is that the analysis itself takes longer, too, as processor power is used up by the GC instead of going towards actually analysing the images. I can imagine that on less powerful computers, the time taken for it to reach the memory limit is a lot less, as there is obviously less RAM - although perhaps, if the processor is less powerful too, the analysis itself takes longer and thus the overall time is about the same? Though fewer images would be analysed in that time frame. Either way, you're losing out. As I said: its best to only analyse one pair of images at a time, and try to use sensible interrogation windows and regions of interest.

I finally found a use for having 16GB on my laptop's memory!

"Hey, Dad, I can use the large amount of memory to use eon's DICS!"

"What?"

"Yep! DICS is going to leak a lot, so 16GB is going to help!"

Oh wait... that might sound a bit... awkward...

If I pronounce DICS phonetically and not sound out each letter.

• Upvote 4

JD_Mortal    9

Me and a friend: lol, look at how big that one is... and this one... hey, this one is real short...

Mom: What are you doing over there?

Me: We are just playing with DICS...

Mom: What!

Looks like an interesting program. Could also be used with "grid-dots" on a surface of something that has gone through a physical change. Thinking like a block of clay being hit by a bat from the side, or a balloon filled with water and tapped from the side, or a pack of angry squirrels wearing shock-collars trying to escape my yard in swarms.

Edited by JD_Mortal

eonrulz    1930

Looks like an interesting program. Could also be used with "grid-dots" on a surface of something that has gone through a physical change. Thinking like a block of clay being hit by a bat from the side, or a balloon filled with water and tapped from the side, or a pack of angry squirrels wearing shock-collars trying to escape my yard in swarms.

Well yes - the point is that it can measure the deformation/displacement/change in anything with a sufficiently random pattern on it; I just optimised it to also calculate the strain, which is not necessary for a large percentage of its possible uses.