Team Avolition
arjunyg

Minecraft Protocol Reference

arjunyg    4

Not sure how widely spread this resource is, but I find it to be quite useful so I thought I'd share:

http://wiki.vg/Protocol

This is an excellent reference for the minecraft network protocol and covers everything from authentication with minecraft.net to the details of every packet in the current and future (snapshot) protocols.

The reference can help figure out how to recreate various packet-based hacks (i.e: instant health, mass item drops, nofall, sneak, etc.) or even discover new exploits.

Also if you are coding a minecraft client from scratch (like me - im doing one in python), this wiki is indispensable.

• Upvote 2

tatewuzhere    12

Thanks for the reference. Also, just curious. Why are you writing a client in python? IMO you should write one in c++ so it performs better. Python is slower than java.

• Downvote 1

Coruscantian    378

Thanks for the reference. Also, just curious. Why are you writing a client in python? IMO you should write one in c++ so it performs better. Python is slower than java.

Writing it up from C++ would be more of a pain in the ass, and there's no guarantee that he'd be able to make it run noticeably faster and more efficiently.

Edited by coruscantian

rakiru    2713

@OP This is a widely known resource. Telling you as you said you didn't know how widely spread it was.

Also, yeah, rather stupid recommending C++. If that's your opinion on a simple bot, then I assume you think everything should be written in C++? That makes all other languages irrelevant. Also, Python is easier to knock something together in, especially if he knows Python and not C++.

arjunyg    4

Well mainly im writing the client for just shits and giggles, but I might actually start coding some of it in C++ (easy to interface with python actually) just for performance. I think when I start doing graphics I'll to use C++, just because its way easier and you can do hardware acceleration etc. Also the reason I started it in python was I was extending someone else's very basic start on a python client and I have a pretty good knowledge of python.

tatewuzhere    12

@OP This is a widely known resource. Telling you as you said you didn't know how widely spread it was.

Also, yeah, rather stupid recommending C++. If that's your opinion on a simple bot, then I assume you think everything should be written in C++? That makes all other languages irrelevant. Also, Python is easier to knock something together in, especially if he knows Python and not C++.

He's not writing a "simple bot", he is writing a client:

Also if you are coding a minecraft client from scratch (like me - im doing one in python), this wiki is indispensable.

My logic behind recommending c++ and not python was that Minecraft runs like shit as it is, so rewriting a client in Python would honestly gain you nothing useful. Now that he elaborated in the sense that he is just doing it for fun or as a learning experience, I understand. I was not telling him to use c++, I was simply recommending it so he could gain (hopefully) a bit of a performance boost depending on how he decided to optimize. And finally, no, I don't think c++ is the best language for any application, I don't know where you pulled that out of.

Edited by tatewuzhere

rakiru    2713

He's not writing a "simple bot", he is writing a client:

My logic behind recommending c++ and not python was that Minecraft runs like shit as it is, so rewriting a client in Python would honestly gain you nothing useful. Now that he elaborated in the sense that he is just doing it for fun or as a learning experience, I understand. I was not telling him to use c++, I was simply recommending it so he could gain (hopefully) a bit of a performance boost depending on how he decided to optimize. And finally, no, I don't think c++ is the best language for any application, I don't know where you pulled that out of.

A bot is a client, and pretty much everyone that says they're writing a client in another language means something more like that - not a full-featured graphical client.

Also, Minecraft would run better if it was written better, even if it was still in Java.

arjunyg    4

So time to clear up some confusion:

I am writing a fully featured client from the ground up in python and c++.

Graphics will be done in C++ using OpenGL libraries.

I will be writing my own physics engine, although much of the physics are handled by the server (makes things WAY easier)

I am using python for networking, because its easy.

For awhile this will remain a bot, simply because I have not done graphics yet. The graphics will be the final step btw.

Release timeline is undecided as I am involved in a lot of projects right now, it will probably be a long time before I can resume development on this. Also it will not be designed for griefers or any other destructive activities. It is simply a client for the sake of being different from what we all use. This will probably include features for ease of use and graphical deliciousness.